Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porter

Actual report!

33 posts in this topic

Enough talking about the future and what others are catching, I finally got on the water myself this morning.

OMC, Christian White, and I had arranged to meet at the Perryville Park launch this morning at 7:30. When I pulled in Christian was unloading his brand new Cobra and another gentleman that OMC had contacted through a fly-tying board arrived shortly thereafter. We were nearly ready to lauch when yet another kayak-angler pulled in and we found out that he's a lurker around here as well (sorry, never got your name confused.gif ).

We launched by about 8am and were hailed by OMC before we got 100 yards from shore. We told him where we were headed and paddled off. We then rounded the corner to find the flats full of boats. No big surprise for a C&R season weekend!

Our group scatted a bit on the way out but we eventually met again about an hour later. Only a couple fish had been picked up and none were of any size. Meanwhile OMC found us (he got two on the troll while coming out!) and we all drifted for a while together catching a fish or two, mostly by the guys with the long rods. Here's OMC with a fish on:

102-0225_IMG.JPG

Just as things seemed to have gone flat, Christian hooked up with the best fish of the day. This thing took him for quite a ride...

102-0229_IMG.JPG

OMC, his acquantaince, and I paced him as he was towed around for a few minutes just so we could get a picture of this beauty!

102-0231_IMG.JPG

19+ pounds on the Boga and (by eye) 38"-40".

102-0232_IMG.JPG

Christian was smiling from ear to ear. biggrin.gif His best striper ever, it was his third on his brand new kayak and he got it on the fly! icon14.gif

I took off after shooting these pics to find my own bubba. After a while all I had managed to find was MM, rolleyes.gif but we trolled together for a while before heading back to locate the rest of the group. Naturally, as we turned around the wind kicked up to about 15 knots right on our noses. MM hooked one on the troll but lost him in his second line before he could get it cleared. A short while later, as the wind picked up more, we found the other guys on their way back in and decided to call it a day.

Great to meet some new folks and have an awesome day on the water.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 03-24-2002).]

Great job, guys. 2 weeks, ask them to hang around, just one of those will do it for me.

Got my first of the season today but nothing like that bad boy.

Oh boy...Oh boy...Oh boy!!!!

Nice job, fellas. Thanks for keeping us all posted, especially with pics.

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Funny, didn't feel like the fish gods were with me today, I got skunked. frown.gif I think everybody else got at least one though. icon14.gif You just got the highlights. wink.gif

It was very slow out there, but the recent cold snap (water temps today were about 47-48 degrees everywhere we went) and some murky water coming down from the dam has alot to do with it. Unless it gets really warm for the next two weeks solid, they'll still be here JimW.

Enjoy your snow OJ. biggrin.gif

Chris

It was quite a ride! I didn't think I was ever going to turn that fish's head; he just kept towing me around in circles. If I wasn't hooked on kayak fishing before, I certainly am hooked now. Thanks for all the help and for taking the pictures today.

Great pics and report. Christian great job. There just isn't anything like ****. What fly were you using? Also what weight rod? ow lets get this weather to change and fish.

It was a 1/0 chartreuse eel pattern about 6 inches long. I tie in 3 deceiver hackles on each side, add some 1/16 oz clouser eyes, and wrap from the bend to the eye with cactus chenille. I have it in many colors, but chartreuse always seems to get fish for me. I was casting a 10 weight with a 300 grain head, 20 pound leader. Fish took right on the bottom in about 8 feet of water (right as the sinking head started coming through the guides; I had to get about 50 feet of running line back on the reel in a hurry!). We get some 51-52 degree water and look out!