Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Trout Reports

94 posts in this topic

Hey folks.

Now that Spring trout season had opened for most in the Mid-Atlantic region let's post our reports, successes, observations, frustrations etc.

I'll start. I started my season Friday at a artificial only delayed harvest section. I noticed black stone flies coming off so I ties on a black trout magnet. I landed on nice rainbow in moving water and another smaller one. I missed a couple browns in some slower water. The black magnet was probably the wrong color in the deeper slower stuff for those browns as they only 1/2 committed. A fly guy did well on sucker spawn fly. The water was cold and clear for this tine of year.

I went out yesterday to a P&T stream to see what stockies were left as I was looking for a fresh fish meal. I don't know why I was so surprised but I was. On Monday morning the stream was mobbed. The biggest surprise was the tent city. I could understand if it were in the sticks or in the mountains, but in a residential area? Anyway, didn't have any success at first and I threw the tackle box at them. Latter in the morning after the sun warmed the water a bit & got some insects hatching I noticed some fish moving in a long slow shallow flat. Probably warmer and not a likely target for weekend warriors. I scored 4 cookie cutter browns there. I threw the box at them but all they would take was worms. I finished up in a fast run, looked like rainbow water. My nailed one on Berkley Power Bait. My buds each caught a brown and a rainbow on worms. Only interest on a spinner was one nice rainbow flash in a fast deep run. I still think the water is a tad cold for them to be very aggressive and energetic. Funny how its predictable where rainbows will be vs. browns. Also, those browns love worms. Could be because it had rained the day before (Easter Sunday) & they had been feasting on worms.

I Plan on heading out again toward the end of the week. Hopefully the crowds will have thinned a tad by then.

How are you guys doing?

JD

I took a colleague out to a really pretty stretch of a P&T stream (i.e. PA Commonwealth approved trout waters). It was cold this morning. Ice on the mud along the bank and eyes freezing up. Water low & crystal clear. Smaller crowds than earlier in the week but crowds none the less. It took a while for fish to get going w/ the cold morning. After the sun shone on the water they started to feed reluctantly. All we could get them to bite was worms. They wouldn't move for a spinner. No interest in minnows, mealies, wax worms or trout bait. Only thing I didn't try was trout magnets. As usual the browns were in the slower water and as the water warmed they started rising to caddis. The bows of course were in the faster runs but still would only take worms. I find this odd as we haven't had any rain since last Sunday. Between the two of us we landed about 18 fish only retaining our legal limit of 5 each. Man do I love how those bows fight and jump, even in this cold water. Steelhead have to be an absolute blast!

I'll be at it again tomorrow morning trying to squeeze one more shot at a non-weekend trip. Spring break ends this Monday.

I'll post a report. We may get some rain tomorrow morning, which we need. I'm guessing rain will only help catching, keep crowds away and help to spread out the stockies.

Tight lines!

JD

Yep it is that time.

Unfortunately in Maryland the DNR had some major hatchery problems this year so most of the trout they did stock were on the small size though they did stock some humongous; as in 10 lb. brood fish which showed up on their opening day fishing report.

Fortunately for me they also stocked some Freshwater Institute rainbows from West Virginia and unlike the Kamloops trout they stock many of them survived the opening day carnage. I hit a local stream last Sunday with my micro jigs and caught and released 12 wild browns, 38 institute rainbows, 4 small Kamloops rainbows, 2 Palominos, and 2-4lb. brood fish. The institute fish were 2-3 pounds and beautiful and robust hard fighting trout. One 19" fish had two trout magnets, one small power worm, a salmon egg hook and a streamer fly in its jaws, I was surprised that it could get my jig in there with all the plastic and hardware attached to it. I carefully removed all the hardware and tooth picks and returned him back to the river nice and clean. This is the best early season trout trip I have ever had and while you might think this sounds like bragging, but it is not hard to rack up these numbers when you catch and release 7-10 fish in each of several holes. The Institute fish where all in a one mile section of the stream and above and below that area I had to work long and hard to get a fish and they were mostly wild browns with an occasional small Kamloops rainbow from the Hatchery that some how survived opening day. The concentrated group of Institute fish made it well worth the effort on that very cold morning.

That trout deserves to Live forever. Nice that you removed all that and set him free.

Yep it is that time.

One 19" fish had two trout magnets, one small power worm, a salmon egg hook and a streamer fly in its jaws, I was surprised that it could get my jig in there with all the plastic and hardware attached to it. I carefully removed all the hardware and tooth picks and returned him back to the river nice and clean.

Landed this hungry brookie yesterday AM along with 2 similar size browns , all on a rapala 2" brown trout frye . The action on this lure in the current is unreal , just like a darter. All 3 fish clobbered it ,it's still balls ass cold at first light with the wind blowing a steady 15mph .

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKnot View Post

Landed this hungry brookie yesterday AM along with 2 similar size browns , all on a rapala 2" brown trout frye . The action on this lure in the current is unreal , just like a darter. All 3 fish clobbered it ,it's still balls ass cold at first light with the wind blowing a steady 15mph .

Good for you Knot.

Yeah To01,

I figured any fish that was that game and that had broken free from that many fisherman had definitely earned his freedom and a chance to dance the dance of life as long as he can.

In NJ, the trout season doesn't open until tomorrow. The lake's all stocked. I'm locked and loaded ready to put a hurting on trout!

Hy Knot, That's a pretty Brookie! Jay I'm so jealous of the fishery you have. Those institute bows sound awesome!

I took a good friend to my childhood haunt yesterday to see if there were any fish left from opening week that were brave enough to try to eat something. We had to hike quite a way into the woods to find any but we found a honey hole. We both landed a bunch of fish. I lost a beauty of a rainbow. Pulled lots of drag and made so many runs I lost count. Between its strength, athleticism, and the current, it was all my UL set up and 2lb test could handle. Eventually it pulled the hook. I did land a 15 1/2 brown and a 13 1/2 brook. I'll post pics when I figure out how. Between the beauty of trout streams and the beauty of the fish, along with the beautiful spring weather (never mind the spectacular fight and jumps of rainbows)... how can you not love trout fishing?!?! You just have to learn to work around the crowds.

Tight Lines.

JD

[ATTACHMENT=8983]IMG_20130405_101011.jpg (1,903k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Okay so here's my attempt at attaching photos.

I used the paper clip at the top of the reply page. I did a search of "how to attach photos" and come up blank.

If this doesn't work, can someone please offer me some advice on how to attach photos properly?

Thanks!

JD

[ATTACHMENT=8983]IMG_20130405_101011.jpg (1,903k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Okay so here's my attempt at attaching photos.

I used the paper clip at the top of the reply page. I did a search of "how to attach photos" and come up blank.

If this doesn't work, can someone please offer me some advice on how to attach photos properly?

Thanks!

JD

Don't use the paperclip. Use the picture icon to the left of the paperclip.

Our season opened last Saturday and while there are plenty of fish in the water, the water seems to be on the cold side yet. Haven't seen a lot caught and I actually having caught any yet. 2 local creeks got restocked on Thursday and I didn't see a whole lot caught at either of them the last 2 days.

Funny thing is this time last year water was much warmer and I was up over 40 fish already and kid was up around 15.

But they ain't eating worms, corn or minnows and ain't chasing lures.

Water is right around 44 degrees.