Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfish

Setting Up The Yak

10 posts in this topic

Well I am starting to like this yak stuff. I've had my Navigator out four times now and am ready for rod holders and maybe a hatch and fishing. I'm hoping some of you experienced yakkers can help with some questions.

I have no hatches. Is installing a hatch something a not so handy hacker can do?

What is a RAM system that gets referred to?

I am thinking of installing a rod holder using well-nuts, something like a marine molly bolt for hollow walls. Any comments?

Thanks so much for any input. I have already learned a lot from this forum and hope to contribute as I gain experience.

jfish

Well I am starting to like this yak stuff. I've had my Navigator out four times now and am ready for rod holders and maybe a hatch and fishing. I'm hoping some of you experienced yakkers can help with some questions.

I have no hatches. Is installing a hatch something a not so handy hacker can do?

Hatch iw a piece of cake. It comes with a template which you trace onto your kayak and then cut along the line. After you do that you work out any minor cuts you might have to make, then put in the hatch, drill the holes, silicon then rivet it into place. Should take you an hours or less (i used a dremel instead ofa jig saw like an idiot)

What is a RAM system that gets referred to?

Its a Rod holder system which has a Ball that allows it to rotate a full 360 degrees around to put it in any position you desire

I am thinking of installing a rod holder using well-nuts, something like a marine molly bolt for hollow walls. Any comments?

No clue here

Wellnuts are great amd very easy to use. There are lots of rod holder systems. My favorites are the Scotty and RAM. RAMs are the top cabin of rod holders.

Hatches are very easy to install. I have them in stock along with rod holders, etc. I highly reccomend the center hatch. It makes a Cobra a lot more versatile. A front "A" is nice but the center is almost mandatory. It gives you a lot of great storage.

I have a Navigator and I installed both the forward "A" hatch and the "circle" hatch in the cockpit. I use the circle hatch more, but the A hatch is nice too. I can shimmy up the boat and get into the forward hatch if I need to. I just use 2 Scotty rod holders right at the front of the cockpit. I know many people want rods behind them, but I prefer them up front and have done well that way. They don't interfere with paddling and I can get to them easily when I hook up trolling. I also have my FF mounted in the notch at the front of the cockpit. I'm just about happy with how it's set up, perhaps a better seat is about all I want.

I use the rod holders in front of me to fish and the ones behind me to store extra rods. On long day trips where you cover a lot of different environments, it often takes a few rods, especially if you like to use both fly and spin gear like I do.