Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
curlysue1974

Trout Fishing in NJ

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I am looking to take my little ones fishing this Saturday for trout.  Nothing too exciting, going to toss some powerbait out there and hope for the best.  I checked the places they stocked on the state website, but my question is, are there any places that dont get too packed?  It has been some time since I went.  I want to find a place where my kids can fish and not have to worry about fighting for a spot.  Any suggestions?  I am based out of Union County. 

On Saturday? Probably hard to find a place that isn't over run on opening day.

I don't do much trout fishing, but I usually wait until Sunday, then fish on weekday evenings at local spots.

I'd pick some of your local spots and check them out. If somebody has a secret spot, they most likely won't be sharing it here.

Might be a bit of a drive for ya but spring lake seems pretty big and I know a lot of dudes that take there kids fishing there. Minimal trees. Good place to practice casting. 

Trout fishing on opening day in NJ is a madhouse wherever you go. Especially this year when more guys will be hitting fresh water to get their early "fix" since beach access is so limited right now. I know Union County pretty well, private message me if you want a few good local spots but just know at 9 AM on opening day it's going to be elbow to elbow everywhere. Your best bet is to go out in the afternoon that day.

Mountainside Echo Lake Park Kids like crowds, they make friends. It's only adults that worry about burned spots and catching every fish!

Yes, that place is one I would have reccomended. The trout are only stocked in the lower lake called Lower Echo Lake Pond. Look for a really good contest there for kids run by the Newark Bait And Flycasting Club.

Also, an old friend of mine who posts on here by the name of Cookie belongs to the Shark River Surf Anglers Club and helps put on a big fishing derby at Spring Lake for the kids. It is a great event these guys put on.

I have been to Echo Lake before on opening day and I do remember it being crowded.  Might give Roosevelt a try.  I was surprised to see Warinaco Park being stocked.  I used to fish there as a kid and go ice skating at the rink there.  Having been to that park this past summer, I would be surprised to see alot of people fishing there.  Never been opening day there.  If the weather is nice im sure it will be packed everywhere.

Rahway River runs all through Cranford. Lots of spots.

You don't have to be there at 8:00 am. A lot of times the crowd thins out as kids run out of patience or have to be at baseball practice.

Spring Lake has your best shot at lunkers, by far. But to say it's crowded is an understatement. It's elbow to elbow every opener.

Opening day should be open to kids only.

So many times have I seen adult d-bags shut the kids out at SL. :mad:

I agree!!! 100%.

I like going out around 3 PM with my waders, pliers, knife and empty plug bag. In two or three hours, I have enough tackle from the trees and bushes to last me all season. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

Opening day should be open to kids only.

So many times have I seen adult d-bags shut the kids out at SL. mad.gif

+1, or give the kids a day before opening day lets say, 15? and under. kinda like hunting season with youth day

+1, or give the kids a day before opening day lets say, 15? and under. kinda like hunting season with youth day

That's a hell of a good idea :idea:

Saturday could be youth day and Sunday could be full open.