Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otshawytsha

The Oki Doki Worm Fly, In Honor Of Joe Strummer

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Now, ok, here issss a very very sssssimple worm fly. The kind of worm fly you turn out a dozen to wear out fishing them in a team. Two of them or three, maybe.

This is just marabou, thread, and a #4 EC 254 hook.

Good to have red and black and use them whenever you see a worm in the water--even a single one--and hearing surface slurpings and boilings. I don't know, I always had luck that way. Retrieving them with a slow retireve because they sink.

Method 1: Palmered body.

Ok. So with this palmered body one, we're going to use the tip of the marabou feather. The feather I am holding up here is kind of a long one and I'd be wasting a lot of the feather if I just used this this one way. Solution below. But with the other kinds of marabou you get the shorter feathers and this way works well for just one feather.

Ok. You snip of the tip of the feather so you have a bit of a V

The V.

then gather up some of the barbs towards the end of the feather. This will be your tail. Doesn't need to be a lot of barbs because it will expand in water.

But sometimes it's good to have a lot of feathers on the fly, for trial puprposes, and it can always be cut down to match the hatch, as the so-called experts are so fond of saying. Tie that in.

Now twist that feather several times so its ropy. PAlmer with that to the hookeye.

That will take you all of 1 minute. And sometimes you may need to tie these on the road, up Cape Codey way say and you come across hatch but no flies. You can tie this with your fingers and hook. Although I have tied them at my steering wheel. Vice attaches nicely to it.

Method 2: Dubbed Body

Ok. That previous method was shown to me by someone. It's a good idea. Here's another idea. Dubbed body. This one is nice because you can add other colors to the dubbing material and create white and blue spots which you will sometimes see on the worms/replicate an impression of theirt lighter underbellies.

Self-explanatory:

grab some marabou barbs and cut them off the stem. Tie in with the tips forming tail.

Now take the reswt of the marabou and with wax if you have it, twist and scrunch it around the thread. Alternatively you can cut the barbs off and then wrap it. Also you can add other dubbing materials to make spots, as mentioned above but not shown in this SBS tutorial.

the nice thing about this one is you can manipulate the width of body by picking out the hair to try to make it bigger, as needed OTW. It's a good thing.

Ok. There it is. KEep adding to the knowledge base and increasing your awareness about the Clash's major contribution to our popular music.

Nice simple quick and looks like they'll work good job.

Thanks for reviewing, KidD, and adding to the knowledge base. People routinely refuse to understand the simple issue of matching profile of bait. You see lots of worm flies made with hackle. Absolutely not matching the hatch, at least with the worms I see, and they wonder aloud, as if in pain, "Why can't I kill these worms?" The answer is movement and profile and color, as the so-called "experts" are fond of saying, while in this case they do happen to be right.

Ever catch a trout on a #22 or #24 midge? Or ever fail to catch trout on a #22 or #24 midge when that midge looks gigantic in comparison to the stuff that's on the surface? I rest my case, although I won't be surprised to hear about people failing to catch with their mullet-sized worm flies made of foam and epoxy. LOL!