Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UltraFlux

Newbie living in Cancun

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Good day!

I've been living in Cancun for about a year now and I want to get into fishing. I'm from Canada and I've spent some time fishing in various lakes but I have no experience in salt-water.

Things I've thought of so far.

- Shore, dock, bridge fishing (once or twice a week)

- Boat fishing (once a month)

Gear

- Unfortunately I have no clue. I am guessing an inexpensive combo reel and rod to get started

Locations

- Anyone with tips on Cancun

If anyone plans on fishing here and wants to meet up please let me know.

Thanks,

Grant

You should book a day with a top local fishing guide. Great way to get dialed in to what you need and what your options are from shore. That would be a big step in the right direction.

Hi Pez,

I am planning a trip with a fishing charter, however I do not plan to fish via boat that often.

You are telling me there are fishing guides who can help me out that fish from shore, etc?

-G

Don't know it this is helpful but I fished the Riviera Maya area on foot a couple of years ago while on vacation. Walked the beach with a fly rod and light spinning rod. Caught many small bonefish and jacks on the fly and on small white bucktails and small metal jigs. Just had to fish real early and stay away from the hotels.

Hi Spigola,

Where did you find area away from hotels?

I've read about bridge fishing and maybe some docks. I'm not familar with shore fishing at all. Is it similar to casting when shore fishing at a lake?

-G

Yes. It is a lot like fishing the shore of a fresh water pond. You want to look for a rip or point or any kind of structure or current break. I have no experience in mexico but you can never go wrong with a white or chartruse bucktail and some spoons like a kastmaster etc. Good luck.

Hi Pez,

I am planning a trip with a fishing charter, however I do not plan to fish via boat that often.

You are telling me there are fishing guides who can help me out that fish from shore, etc?

-G

Actually, I'm just assuming that there are fly / light tackle fishing guides in your area that could help you out with shore fishing. I haven't visited Cancun yet and don't really know a thing about shore fishing options in that area. I bet if you ask around at your local tackle shop you'll find out if such services are offered in Cancun.

Are you rite in cancun or nearby? my folks have a home in puerto morelos, Im back and fourth alot, There are fish everywere, The lagoon behind the hotels,can be good, up north is real good and the road in is better than in years past. The sian kahn park is exelent imagin the everglades 100 years ago, there is a bridge there you can fish, beaches, flats, kayk rental. You could even take the local bus to save money.Sailfish will begin very soon.Sorry about spelling.

I'm basically next door to Plaza Las Americas.

Yes, I've read a lot about what you've mentioned. Just lacking experience! I guess nothing beats just going out and trying.

And yes the R1/R2 bus which runs along the hotel zone is no more than a few minute walk from my apartment.

-G