Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Espresso

Fuji KW 30J or 30JL

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I'm planning to wrap a CPS 11' 2-5oz for the first time. I've done a good bit of reading but just had a few outlying questions. What's the height difference between the KW 30J vs 30JL? I believe the L sits a bit closer to the blank? I'm using the NGC method. My ideal setup is the following +/- a running guide. Although I might swap a 10J in there if needed.

30 - 20J - 12J - 8J - 8J - 8J - 8J - 8J - 8J - 10 Tip

The reel I'm using is a Shimano 8000 size with a spool lip diameter of 59mm (2.3"). What's the preferred 30 size guide I should be using? J or JL?

I know the reel length I want is 22" to the reel stem so I'll install that then tape on the guides and test cast. I'm curious to ask if anyone has test "fish" with taped on guides and not just test "cast"? Just to see how it loads and fights a fish. If I were to do that, any foreseeable issues? I assume the tip is epoxied in place during any testing since that's not going to change?

Also, for blanks with really slim tapers do most prefer to use an under wrapping with size A thread to protect the blank or forgo that to keep tip weight at a minimum? Thanks for any guidance.

The anglers resource web site has a chart showing guide heights, and there's one on this site if you use the search (but it is older and may not include the 30L). From a height standpoint the 30J is quite a bit higher but it doesn't match up too well with the smaller KW guides in a reduction train which are only available in low frame sizes. If you start with a 30L (or 25) the train you are thinking of would work, but you are likely to get some line slap. If you start with a 30J, you would probably go to a 25 next. I built a GSB1201L that went 30J, 25, 20, etc. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/850902/gsb120l1-build-guide-layout-and-deflection-test-for-commentsThe single leg K guides are high framed in the smaller sizes and would make a nice reduction train following a 30J, if you are willing to give up some ruggedness that the double leg guides provide.

Some of your other questions - yes people have fished with taped on guides, some for an entire season, but obviously you need better tape if you're going to try that. I don't think you need underwraps if you make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges on the guide feet. You can also use a small round file to contour the underside of the feet somewhat to match the rod diameter. Put the tip on with Fuji hot glue. It holds good and its easy to get it off when you need to.