Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Smaller outfits for kayaking...?

3 posts in this topic

I'm getting a kayak and was wondering about the suitability of my gear. Do people generally use smaller outfits when fishing from the kayak? My primary trolling setup (for a powerboat) is a 6'6" 20#-class rod with 400yds of 20# mono (already a little overkill for bass). I would think this setup would be way excessive for use on a kayak and was thinking about stepping down to 200yds+/- of 15# and a lighter rod. What do you all troll with? I'll be mainly using eels and will have a fly-rod on board for casting work. Any suggestions would be great.

hey EB,

where ya fishin' ???

one criteria for yakkin' would be the ability to clear the bow(& stern) when a fish is movin'. Depending on the length of the yak, 6'6" may work.

I've fished the back-bays with freshwater gear. 12# bass can be landed with said gear.

As for slingin' the fairy wand from the yak-IMO, I find it too much of a hassle... so much crap is going on at the same time (casting, stripping, laying line on lap, paddle corrections)- I save the sissy stick for when I hop out of yak along the sod banks....

That being said- I"m been pretty much done yak-fishing due to injury.So my opinions are just that--- MINE ....

EBHarvey,

Have to agree with both of you. Clearing the bow is important and a lighter than normal drag setting is as well. Your not going to horse a fish in on a kayak. I like to use 7' ugly stiks on my kayak (not a commercial plug). I favor a small spinning reel and also carry a small conventional baitcaster loaded with 12-15# mono. I don't carry more than 2 outfits.

Depending on the size of your kayak mine is 12'2" measure the distance from your seated position to the bow and add some for a heavy bend in your rod tip. In some cases an 8' or even 9' rod may be best. Just remember your casting from a seated position so keep it light.

Steve smile.gif