Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metaliczombi

It's not Spring yet, be careful out there

6 posts in this topic

Cold water kills. One man dies at Round Valley Reservoir.

CLINTON TWP. — The body of a man presumed to be a boater who disappeared today in Round Valley Reservoir has been recovered 70 feet below the surface.

The man who disappeared shortly before noon today, April 1, appears to have been a New York resident and was apparently fishing from a canoe-like small boat, which was recovered in the water, State Police Sgt. Adam Grossman said this evening.

The body was recovered at 6:50 p..m., he said, after a State Police Marine Unit picked up an "anomaly" on its scanner and divers were sent below the surface.

Me and a buddy saved a guys life on Saturday. Flipped his kayak about a mile from the ramp and after his buddy got him out of the water his muscles stopped working and he started to get hypothermia. Luckily we showed up in time and were able to put him in my boat and bring him back to the launch and his car to warm up. People don't understand that even though the air is warm the water is still 40 degrees.

Thought karma would be coming our way but only ended up with a bunch of crappie jigging bait balls. Next day only one dink largemouth. :D

I was reading that they frequently don't find guys that drown in Round Valley. Apparently the water temp deep stays cold enough to keep decomp to a minimum and the body doesn't build up gases fast enough to float.

Anybody on the water without a life jacket in early Spring in NJ is pretty much asking for disaster. Even with a life jacket, you are taking your chances in cold water.

Saturday afternoon in north NJ there was one big sustained gust that went on for about 2 minutes. Was at least 20 mph sustained.

I was on a shallow pond on the kayak and tied to a stake out pole in about 5' of water. As that gust kept blowing, and now I'm literally holding onto the stake-out, I was thinking, "boy, am I glad that I'm not on some big body of water right now".