Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Well this is just great - busted hood latch cable

18 posts in this topic

Gearing ready to do a major overhaul of my '00 7.3 Excursion. It's spent too much time driving on the sand and has some serious rust issues that need taking care of. So, step one - open the hood.

Fail ! Pulled the latch in the cab and the cable snapped - Went underneath to try and find a way to pop the hood, or at least get to the cable, with no luck. I'm sure this is an easy fix, but it's escaping me........ Now what ??

I remember doing one 20??? years ago but I don't remember which vehicle. I was able to release the lock with a screwdriver by pressing down enough to release the friction springs tension, but you probably already tried that....I think the grille comes off next, if enough fasteners are accessible, to get your hand to the latch. If you can cut the cable sheath at the handle perhaps having a free end will allow you to push a loop that may be accessible, especially near the latch. If you can force a loop a coat hanger may grab it.

The only way to take the grill or lights out is to open the hood

I got a real problem here !! 1000

Come in from behind the latch assembly through the grill with a coat hanger( small hook bent in end) from drivers side, fish around pulling toward driverside head lamp. the lever the cable hooks to is about middle way of the latch pointing down. take some time but can be done we have to doit at the dealership every so often. If you can look at another vehicle to get a idea of were everything is at and how it works makes it alittle easier.

Is it possible that  the grille is a monolithic trim piece, but the vented portion may be a removable inserts? Some grilles are built that way. Even if the insert gets damaged from removal, it may be available for purchase separately from the entire grille assembly. May be cheaper than a locksmith.LL.jpg

Edit...nevermind.. good luck with the overhaul!

So far no luck, and I've spent hours trying to jimmy the latch.

The cable is still attached to the handle in the cab, meaning that it's broken somewhere that it can't be reached

Laying on your back under the truck, the distance from under the bumper up to where I'd have to reach to be able to remove the shield that's blocking the latch is almost 4' away. Shaq couldn't reach it much less me.

This sucks

Interesting

I just disassembled the latch handle and grabbed the wire (the ball) with a visegrip

Pulling hard it only comes out about 2 inches before stopping solidly. Now I'm not sure it's actually broken since it isn't sliding right out

--------

(hour passed between these two posts)

--------

My neighbor just came over with a stethoscope. When it's held up to the hood and the wire is pulled in the cab you can hear the spring in the latch.

Hoods not budging

Sprayed PB Blaster up under the hood maybe I'll get lucky ??

What's still got me confused is that when it initially happened I felt something break when I pulled the lever

Might be the whole assembly on the hood side worked itself loose or broke off from some bracket. If that's the case, try pounding down on the front of the hood to see if it pops up (cross fingers). If this doesn't work, try to find a similar make/model and take a look to see if you can get a good look at the assembly on the hood end. There's got to be a way to disengage the latch with a long screwdriver or something...

try pounding down on the front of the hood to see if it pops up (cross fingers).

A bunch of whacks using my elbow karate chop style with someone pulling the cable - it worked :wee:

Note to all - go oil all the latches and hinges in your trucks right now while you're thinking about it !

Get a small wedge and push it under the hood along the front of it to create some pressure upward and then pull the latch. It might push the hood free of the latch and then you can open it. I do this on a taurus to open the hood and it works every time. The springs/struts are completely worn out so the hood doesn't lift at all.