Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LI BeachRat

Accerss rant

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Ok, the wife needed to get out of the house today. So since she was tired I took her for a ride on the northshore. Nice day for it. BUT after awhile I found myself getting pissed as I drove through Oyster Bay and up in Bayville. Everywhere you looked there are signs , Private Street, no parking, town residence only etc. Now the same thing can be found all over the southshore. Try parking in Atlantic Beach or Point Lookout and forget the Hamptons. Yet everyone of these, " it's my beach, my water front keep out crowd, now all have their hands out for State and/or Federal money to make THEIR stuff whole again. They all got so angry when the rest of the country would not give them money to rebuild. Yet let some good old boy from another state hell even another Long Island town just try and walk on their Beach and put a foot into their water before the local cops drag you away.

If they want the no parking signs than let them pay the cost to rebuild! F em! If we have another Sandy I say bulldoze every home within casting distance to the water before giving them a dime.

F;;;em 100%. Don't support any local businesses in areas not friendly to non residents.

Although, most of these areas are snooby, resident only (they don't even like businesses in their prestine neighborhoods, because businesses attrack normal people).

And I agree that no public money should be used for any shore line re-construction in areas closed to the few local residents. They should cover all costs.

Go to the north fork. In southold town anywhere 15 feet up beach from the high water mark is public property. It is posted in the town clerks office located in the town hall building. Big sign. People cant own a beach, its god's beach. Exact words ive said to rude summer people telling me to get off their beach. 

I say it all of the time. With the ridiculous taxes paid to live on this island, how there are so few access points to water. We live on an ISLAND for eff sake.

Southold? They call the cops if you use the stairs by the Horton point lighthouse :mad:

The thing is, anywhere you are allowed up to the high tide mark.

Park as close as you can legally, then stick a 10 speed in the truck for the rest of the ride.

Pisses most of them off when they can't call anyone on you.

:) Bike it

Southold? They call the cops if you use the stairs by the Horton point lighthouse :mad:

The thing is, anywhere you are allowed up to the high tide mark.

Park as close as you can legally, then stick a 10 speed in the truck for the rest of the ride.

Pisses most of them off when they can't call anyone on you.

:) Bike it

Great idea Bob - although not sure it's the same everywhere. Take Poquott for example - the landowners actually own into the water

There was some discussion about it on another site and one fo the mods broke out something that called that out

Think that's one of the only, if not the only place in LI that is like that

Sorry you got skunked on opening day - better luck the rest of this fishing season

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiegs71 View Post

Great idea Bob - although not sure it's the same everywhere. Take Poquott for example - the landowners actually own into the water

There was some discussion about it on another site and one fo the mods broke out something that called that out

Think that's one of the only, if not the only place in LI that is like that

Sorry you got skunked on opening day - better luck the rest of this fishing season

I think the only way landowners can own into the water is if they can produce a "Crown Grant." I spoke to a lawyer in Ct last year who told me about it. I know he had been involved in access cases involving municipalities and private owners over the years. He said he had never seen that type of deed in a 40 year career but they do exist. I'm not an expert but would guess that so few of these existed that addressing them must have fallen through the cracks when property laws were written, post American Revolution, but are still accepted by the courts. Could be wrong, but so I was told.

Good luck finding a spot to park on the north fork, and if you do, I wouldn't shout it from the rooftops here! You'll be looking for a new spot real quick.

I get a Southold permit every year. Unless, you have one, you're not finding much real estate to fish.

I am all for access, but I like it just the way it is out there. :D

I think the only way landowners can own into the water is if they can produce a "Crown Grant." I spoke to a lawyer in Ct last year who told me about it. I know he had been involved in access cases involving municipalities and private owners over the years. He said he had never seen that type of deed in a 40 year career but they do exist. I'm not an expert but would guess that so few of these existed that addressing them must have fallen through the cracks when property laws were written, post American Revolution, but are still accepted by the courts. Could be wrong, but so I was told.

I'd have to dig it up but was a discussion that is on a site that rhymes with 'south east' :)