Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AllNighter

Back from Fiji

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the suggestions for booking my trip to the pacific. I ended up going to Fiji after some feedback from a few of the guys here including Rplace. Fly fishing was decent, but I found Fiji as a great well rounded place with plenty of other activities to keep busy. The snorkeling is fantastic and there is a ton of animals, plants and birds to see.

The highlight of my trip was landing a mackerel tuna on the fly. A cheesy hero shot posted below. Lots of other strange reef fish caught as well.

More pictures and detailed info at a blog I started recently: ariveredge dot com. Sorry still too jet lagged to repost all the detail on the forum. hope its fine to refer to the blog. I will post some additional info later this week.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1562812/]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1562814/]

Awesome, looks like a big old albie. Which islands did you end up visiting?

Thanks Rplace. I spent a week at Tokoriki which is west of Nadi and part of the mamanuca group of islands. Then another week at Matangi which is a small island off the coast of Taveuni. The mackerel tuna def reminded of an albie, but fought like an albie on steroids. I was actually surprised I was able to land it...it was knuckle busting fast!

Awesome trip and thanks for suggesting Fiji. Where did you guys stay while you were there?

Thanks Rplace. I spent a week at Tokoriki which is west of Nadi and part of the mamanuca group of islands. Then another week at Matangi which is a small island off the coast of Taveuni. The mackerel tuna def reminded of an albie, but fought like an albie on steroids. I was actually surprised I was able to land it...it was knuckle busting fast!

Awesome trip and thanks for suggesting Fiji. Where did you guys stay while you were there?

I'm glad you had a good time, it is an awesome place for a honeymoon and an experience my wife and I still talk about.

The last time I was there we stayed a few days on Matangi, though I forget the name of the resort, and it is where I did most of the fishing while there. Plenty of flats to wade and some deep channels and loads of fish to catch. I had a few shots at bonefish but I'm pretty certain the fish gods will deny me bonefish forever. The rest of the time we stayed on an Island called Namena, a small island about a mile from tip to tip that looks a bit like a dragon from the air surrounded by an incredible barrier reef that drops straight down about a mile on one side. We were there primarily to dive and the pelagic species on that wall were amazing, yellow fin tuna the size of a volkswagen beetle, hammerhead sharks in good size schools, all manner of coral and reef fish, and groupers that could swallow a small child whole. It is also a breeding ground for blue footed boobies and frigate birds, who named those things? In September the island is littered with nests full of the little guys along with loads of sea snakes. The resort has 6 burres so at most there are only 10 other guests and no children under 16 are allowed and in the middle of the week tends to be pretty empty so my wife and I would end up having the whole place to ourselves and around the weekends it was full of Aussies and all manner of people from around the world. The first time we were there about 15 years ago we had dinner a few nights with the former secretary of state under Nixon, that man had some stories. All meals were served up family style and the owners, two of the most interesting characters I have ever met, ate with the guests sharing stories about their time running amusement parks in PA followed by a stint owning a fishing/diving resort in Panama where Noriega was regularly a guest, and some great stories about the difficulties in negotiating a land lease with the Fijian tribe that owns the island. They have almost no electric on the island save for a small generator that powers some of the office equipment a few hours each day, and everything else is powered by propane and at night the island is about as dark as it gets making star gazing on a clear night beyond amazing.

The last time we were there, I guess about 5 years ago, the island had just suffered a military coupe so prices were heavily discounted and the jet flying there was near empty but when we landed you never would have known there was an issue. Apparently it happens there a bit as the native Fijians get a bit antsy about the swelling Indian population gaining too much power so they stage a coupe and rebuild the government to feel better.

I'm glad you had a good time, it is an awesome place for a honeymoon and an experience my wife and I still talk about.

The last time I was there we stayed a few days on Matangi, though I forget the name of the resort, and it is where I did most of the fishing while there. Plenty of flats to wade and some deep channels and loads of fish to catch. I had a few shots at bonefish but I'm pretty certain the fish gods will deny me bonefish forever. The rest of the time we stayed on an Island called Namena, a small island about a mile from tip to tip that looks a bit like a dragon from the air surrounded by an incredible barrier reef that drops straight down about a mile on one side. We were there primarily to dive and the pelagic species on that wall were amazing, yellow fin tuna the size of a volkswagen beetle, hammerhead sharks in good size schools, all manner of coral and reef fish, and groupers that could swallow a small child whole. It is also a breeding ground for blue footed boobies and frigate birds, who named those things? In September the island is littered with nests full of the little guys along with loads of sea snakes. The resort has 6 burres so at most there are only 10 other guests and no children under 16 are allowed and in the middle of the week tends to be pretty empty so my wife and I would end up having the whole place to ourselves and around the weekends it was full of Aussies and all manner of people from around the world. The first time we were there about 15 years ago we had dinner a few nights with the former secretary of state under Nixon, that man had some stories. All meals were served up family style and the owners, two of the most interesting characters I have ever met, ate with the guests sharing stories about their time running amusement parks in PA followed by a stint owning a fishing/diving resort in Panama where Noriega was regularly a guest, and some great stories about the difficulties in negotiating a land lease with the Fijian tribe that owns the island. They have almost no electric on the island save for a small generator that powers some of the office equipment a few hours each day, and everything else is powered by propane and at night the island is about as dark as it gets making star gazing on a clear night beyond amazing.

The last time we were there, I guess about 5 years ago, the island had just suffered a military coupe so prices were heavily discounted and the jet flying there was near empty but when we landed you never would have known there was an issue. Apparently it happens there a bit as the native Fijians get a bit antsy about the swelling Indian population gaining too much power so they stage a coupe and rebuild the government to feel better.

very cool, we'll hopefully be back. flight to fiji from NYC was brutal though!