Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MICHAEL M

Inflatable kayaks/canoes

12 posts in this topic

I did a search and there was absolutely nothing on this subject.I have been spammed by a company called Sea Eagle, which makes inflatable boats/kayaks/canoes. Does anybody know anything about or have an opinion on these vessels? I'm sure there are downsides, but on the upside there is the ease in travel, accessibility to launch areas etc.

I wouldn't be using this on any sort of dangerous waters, no ocean or inlet use, just the calm waters of the back bays and estuaries. Please give whatever positives you can think of along with the negatives.

Thanks,

Michael M

That's well taken JonS, but what about those RIBs (Rigid Inflatable Boats). I picked up a british mag called "RIB" over the WE. Most familiar RIBs are probably sailboat tenders but this is apparently a whole new genre of boat for sport use. The Coast Guard and Navy Seals use them with CAD designed aluminum hulls. I think it might a whole new area to look at.

Any thoughts, JonS, of putting a 2 HP on an Ambush/I only got one response on the other thread/question.

[This message has been edited by JPL (edited 01-29-2001).]

The RIBs are like zodiacs, etc. I guess. They would be sea worth, definately but probably heavy.

JPL - I know that the Kiwi Stealth and the FishnDive handle motors fine but I don't have any experience with motors or the OK model you have. For Baja I'm going to seriously look at the Stealth with a small 4 stroke around 2 hp. It should be an excellent craft for there.

Michael,

I bought a sea-eagel 380x (or something like that) last spring, and used it to mess around in a couple of lakes and bays. It got me where I wanted to go, and it was fairly rigid. Because of its flat bottom it does not track very well, but I am going to try the glue on skegs this spring. Compared to a couple of (cheap) SOT's that I have tried I did not see a huge difference. The seaeagle is easily transportable. E-mail me if you want more info.

I brought it up to Maine last summer, and had fun trolling for little mackeral in Union River bay.

Compared to the sevylor that JonS mentioned, there is no comparison, they are truly pool toys. Although, we did pack a couple of them on a float down the lower section of the Salmon River in Idaho a couple years back. We would pull the big boats to the side and had fun on the class 2 and getting creamed by the class 3's.

Just my $.02

JonS:

What sort of mount (how would a mount fit) would you need for a Fish'n'Dive? This question is for the 2 hp (Honda) we're talking about. Thanks

JonS,Barrell,

Did you see these Dave Cadden inflatables at the Somerset Fly Show?

Fits in airline over head compartments!! Any thoughts??worldnavigator1a.jpg

[This message has been edited by BobNoFish (edited 01-30-2001).]

Bob they looked nice. When I go with a kayak for travel I'm gonna get a Cobra TA Traveler. I breaks down into 3 sections which can be used as luggage with the carry bags. Then I'll have a real kayak when I arrive at my destination.