Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbaileyIII

Hatteras Island 5/4 to 5/11

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, heading to Hatteras Island from the WNC mountains for the first full week in May. Planning on spending the majority of my time surf fishing, but I would also like to pier fish some with my father and wife. As of right now, looks like we are staying in Avon, but that could possibly change. Looking for some suggestions on where to fish, both surf and pier, and what kind of rigs should I be using to maximize my surf fishing? I've got two 12 ft rods that I plan on using, both will be spooled with 65 lb power pro braid, and I've also got a 9 footer and an 8 footer. Thanks!

Rig the 8' with a river rig or standard bottom rig with fleas dug from the surf or shrimp/FBBW cast just beyond the breakers.

Rig the 9' for tin.

Rig the 12' with a fishfinder rig and use the freshest bait (mullet, bunker, spot) you can find, catch

I would dump the braid and go with 20# mono to a 50# shock leader, you wont make any friends on the pier or at the point with braid, but if you fish away from people the braid will be fine, just dont go to the end of the pier or out on the point with it.

Do you have a beach buggy? If so a permit will be required and you cant be on the beach with the buggy at night.

Avon pier is as far north as I would go, as the water is still hovering around 50 degrees, but should be just right by the time you get to hatteras in May. I would fish any of the south facing beaches from the point to ocracoke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reel gambler View Post

Rig the 8' with a river rig or standard bottom rig with fleas dug from the surf or shrimp/FBBW cast just beyond the breakers.

Rig the 9' for tin.

Rig the 12' with a fishfinder rig and use the freshest bait (mullet, bunker, spot) you can find, catch

I would dump the braid and go with 20# mono to a 50# shock leader, you wont make any friends on the pier or at the point with braid, but if you fish away from people the braid will be fine, just dont go to the end of the pier or out on the point with it.

Do you have a beach buggy? If so a permit will be required and you cant be on the beach with the buggy at night.

Avon pier is as far north as I would go, as the water is still hovering around 50 degrees, but should be just right by the time you get to hatteras in May. I would fish any of the south facing beaches from the point to ocracoke.

Good info...we go every year and this is very applicable.

Quote:

Rig the 9' for tin.

Thanks reel gamblerhighfive.gifwhere can I find info on tying this rig? Its been a long time since I've done any type of saltwater fishing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. I mostly flyfish and spinner fish for trout and smallmouth in my local streams and rivers, and I fish for steelhead and bass on our local lake.

The majority of surf fishing equipment I have, as far as reels go, were given to me by one of my dad's friends. He recently passed away and wanted me to have them, because he knew I would use them. One of the 12 foot setups is a Cabela's salt striker 8000 paired with a Wright & McGill rod, the other is a Penn Sargus 8000 series paired with a Daiwa Sealine Surf. The 8 and 9 ft rods I recently purchased back in Febuary, they are both BassPro Power Stick surf. They will be paired with a Penn 450 & a Penn 550, both are the older all metal reels, made in the USA!

Why is braid not recommended? I don't use it here locally, but that's due to the fact that I dont have to worry about hooking into a 100+ pound fish, hahahaha!

Thanks again, I really appreciate any feedback and advice!

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to ask. As a rule of thumb, what size and shape sinkers should I be using for each of the rigs tthat were described, I understand I may have to adjust to a larger size depending on surf conditions. Thanks again.

Gambler, 

re: "Rig the 12' with a fishfinder rig and use the freshest bait (mullet, bunker, spot) you can find, catch"

What size hook for this?

How far out for the cast?

Thanks

Ok fellas,

When I say rig for tin, I mean just tie a stingsilver or hopkins to the end of your line, cast out and retrieve. This is good if you get bored soaking bait, or if the bluefish start blitzing or if you just feel like plugging. I use a 10' rod for this spooled with 15# mono. I tie direct with a non-slip mono loop knot or tie a palomar to a swivel to prevent line twist. If the blues are blitzing I tie to a 10-14" steel leader. Sometimes in the spring fat alberts are around and I will tie a deadly dick in pink and reel as fast as possible. Sometimes they are by themselves, others they are mixed in with some bluefish. In the case of fat alberts tie direct as they are leader shy.

As far as braid goes, it is frowned upon for many reasons. If you fish bait on the bottom, braid gets tugged around by the waves and wind more than mono, if you catch a fish of size, there is no stretch, and when grabbing the line you can get some nasty cuts. In a crowd its even worse. You can't see it as easily at night, it drifts different than mono, is harder to untangle, will cut other anglers line if taught with a fish, is expensive and the benefits of braid are not realized in these conditions.

With the fishfinder rig I use Owner 10/O SSW in-line circle hook snelled with 80# mono. 1-2" from the hook to the swivel. I use pyramid sinkers from 6-10oz depending on conditions. Searching the Delmarva forum has great info on this as well

There is a good thread in the Delmarva forum by Poppy entitled reading the water. It will show you where you want your bait to be. The beach may look the same to you, but trust me those holes, rips, troughs are there, maybe a ride at low tide under a sunny sky will show them to you better and a pair of polarized glasses adds to your perception.

Another search you may want is youtubing red drum fishing the obx. Seeing red I think is the name of it. It is a great video with the best of the best showing how its done. It is about the fall, but if you exclude the piers (as you should in the spring) and apply it strictly to the Point or South Point, you will see it is not about reading the beach, its about casting as far as you can into the washing machine while getting pounded with waves from two directions in a crowd of your peers...I love drum fishing...

Quote:

Ok fellas,

When I say rig for tin, I mean just tie a stingsilver or hopkins to the end of your line, cast out and retrieve.  Sometimes in the spring fat alberts are around and I will tie a deadly dick in pink and reel as fast as possible.

I have one more rookie question, and then I won't bother you any more, reel gambler. LOL!  In your experience, what would serve us best surf casting, size wise?  I know it would vary, depending on surf, but say for average conditions. I plan on picking up at least a dozen spoons, all silver, with one side covered in prism foil. Figured silver, light blue, black, and chartreuse would be good starting points. And, I will definitely pick up a pink one as wellicon14.gif Thanks again!

I have one more rookie question, and then I won't bother you any more, reel gambler. LOL!  In your experience, what would serve us best surf casting, size wise?  I know it would vary, depending on surf, but say for average conditions. I plan on picking up at least a dozen spoons, all silver, with one side covered in prism foil. Figured silver, light blue, black, and chartreuse would be good starting points. And, I will definitely pick up a pink one as well:th:  Thanks again!

humm , hit a local tackles shop down there and ask what the 'flavor' (color) of the day is ...

size wise ... imo thats dependent on what you are using to throw them ..

color first , then size ...

Most of the "tins" that work around that time of year are from 1oz to 2 -1/2oz, so 10'-13'rods are not needed. 7-9' are best for this.

We don't get the big Blues 10lb+ coming into the beach anymore. So, steel leaders are not needed, just a leader of 40# mono or fluro 2' long.

If you are going to fish cut bait, the longer rods will work for that.

Explain your gear a bit more & I can tell you how to rig all of it.

Tins or metal...;)

But I like a Hopkins Shorty. The 2.5oz with a single bucktail hook works for my 1266 rainshadow. A gold hopkins has resulted in a few drum, as well as bluefish and luckily they have all different weights to choose from to fit whichever rod you are throwing. You may want to try Right on 12. Its a place with lots of metal to choose from. Its in Buxton with the shell gas station.

If Fat Alberts are around you can use deadly dicksand or stingsilvers. Again all sizes/weights are available.

I will also be in Avon 5/4-11, heading down from NY. I visit the area frequently but this is the first time I will be there this early in the year. I normally fish the area in mid summer or late fall.

I am looking forward to reading the suggestions you get.

Quote:

Tins or metal...wink.gif

But I like a Hopkins Shorty. The 2.5oz with a single bucktail hook works for my 1266 rainshadow. A gold hopkins has resulted in a few drum, as well as bluefish and luckily they have all different weights to choose from to fit whichever rod you are throwing. You may want to try Right on 12. Its a place with lots of metal to choose from. Its in Buxton with the shell gas station.

If Fat Alberts are around you can use deadly dicksand or stingsilvers. Again all sizes/weights are available.

Thanks, I will check that place out. Figured I would also hit up Franks & Frans, and the Red Drum. I plan on giving the locals all my business while I'm on the island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcaster View Post

Most of the "tins" that work around that time of year are from 1oz to 2 -1/2oz, so 10'-13'rods are not needed. 7-9' are best for this.

We don't get the big Blues 10lb+ coming into the beach anymore. So, steel leaders are not needed, just a leader of 40# mono or fluro 2' long.

If you are going to fish cut bait, the longer rods will work for that.

Explain your gear a bit more & I can tell you how to rig all ofBased

Based on advice, the two 12 ft rods I have will be setup with fish finder rigs. The other surf rods I will be bringing are a 8 ft power stick with a penn 450 ss, and a 9 ft power stick with a penn 550 ss. the 450 is currently set up with 20 pound braid and the 550 is set up with 12 pound mono. I will also be bringing a 7 1/2 foot st croix premiere and a 7 ft shimano rod, both equipped with shimano 2500 series spinning reels. Had planned on using both those for flounder.