Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zmkm

Best starter lures

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Got a phone call from one of my best friends today, asking about the best starter lures for striper fishing for his father-in-law. His in law will only stay here till early fall and may not have a lot of chances to go saltwater fishing. Thus no need of fancy stuff, just a few starter lures which do catch fish. I'd vote for "bombers"and "sp minnows". what do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated!

I am a newb....super strike white sinking popper has been my go to lure on a number of occasions. With what I know now it would have saved me $$$ by sticking with the basics and some jigs....just sayin'....

I agree with sp minnows, superstrike little neck poppers, and throw in some tsunami swim shads.

All three are easy to use, productive and you can do a solid job covering all depths.

Tsunami Swim Shads or Eels, Bucktails and Tins, Sluggos n rubbers etc.

SP Minnow definitely, Rebel Jumping Minnow, Xrap or Spook XTs. Make sure you upgrade the hardware.

Most of these good priced and will catch fish.

Goodluck!!

IFTG

SP minnows are great. Also like yo zuri mag darter. Rubber baits are very good also.

Acc. to a couple of tackle shops I visited, Yozuri discontinued the old style mag darter and the new style isn't nearly as good. They also had a major price increase. I found an old mag darter in a shop but they are hard to come by in the color I like. The next stop may be Fleabay ;)

-bd

Thanks guys! I appreciated all the thoughts!

FoliFish, I am not sure where my friend will take his father in law to but guess should be either around northshore area or cape cod, mostly open beaches, i guess

:)

Plastic swimmers as already mentioned (redfins, bombers, SP minnows). Don't let "lack of casting distance" dissuade him from trying them...which can be a common rookie mistake. Trust me, I KNOW!!

Pencil poppers are always good for starts in spring. Smack-It poppers are a great producer and fairly inexpensive.

Sluggo on lead heads too (6" on 3/4-1oz heads are a great start).

He doesn't have to jump right into a 10' + rod either. Plenty of good fish can be taken on 8' rods with a 5000 class reel. I have an 8' star rod with a Shimano Stradic 5000Fi that my son uses now, and has out fished me a few times recently using the above lures! Grab an RM Jigsmith or gags Flippin mullet (both spook type baits) as well.

Go get 'em!!