do you smell fish?

ok guys, i need some help here.

Both Frick and Kayakjoe don't believe me --- actually make fun of me --- when I tell them that concentrations of bluefish and stripers have a discernable smell. And that following this smell can put you on fish.

So, please weigh in here and tell Joey and Frick i ain't making this stuff up.

Just so's we're clear on this, the smell SteveL claims to smell isn't coming from the bloody, Benihana'd remains of some feeding frenzy. He's talking, I believe, about smells eminating from the contentrations of blues or stripers themselves. I've seen him do this: he lifts nose to air, snuffles like a birddog, points with a finger in some general direction, and off he goes, paddling furiously, cigarette smoke swirling in his wake. Often as not, he ends up battering a few fish with his flyrod. But I'm not sure he wouldn't have gotten em right where he was before.

I don't know but there's something weird about that SteveL.

Tune in tomorrow morning, from 5 to 7, I think, CNBC, the Squawk Box show, and see what you think!

While I'm hesitant to admit it, I too have the fish smelling gift. To me, it's a pungent, almond-like odor. The odor of marauding blues on bunker is similar but much stronger/intense. My guess is that silversides and sandeels also emanate an odor when being devoured by stripers, even. In Lou Tabory's book, Inshore Fly Fishing, he concurs that you can "smell-down" fish. I've smelled the smell, pursued and been into fish too many times to write it off. One morning while wade fishing last year, the smell would waft in and next cast, fish on, then the smell would go away. Whenever it came back, I caught a fish...Believe it...or not.

I do believe that you do smell something, I however for whatever reason cannot smell anything out on the water, I really do think my sense of smell is not working that well, I am olfactory challenged I guess...hmmm.... I wonder if that counts as a handicap and I can get some of those cool license plates?

Don't worry Stevel, your not crazy.smile.gif Now I can smell Bass, they have a very distict smell and when a school of bass is around and the wind is blowing the right direction you can definately smell them. When we drive on the beach (especially in the Vineyard) we'll cruise along with our heads out the window like dogs. Tim has a sniffer that is 10 times better than mine. He can smell them a mile away.wink.gif

As for Bluefish, never really noticed. The only benifit for me being able to smell the bluefish would be knowing which way to run.icon15.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs

AKA: Charlie

ok boys, thanks, i think this is settled. I wonder if my sense of smell was developed from years of fishing with this one guide in Cape Cod. I used to always hang out with him on the top of the 42-foot boat as he looked for slicks and breaking fish. He'd smell fish and point the boat into the wind. Eventually, I got to smell it too.

dubs, i do the same thing walking the Truro beaches.

I'm not sure if the smell is the slick, or the smell from the fish feeding or what. But it's definitely there. The only thing that trips me up is when I follow the smell to a bunch of freshly laid lobster pots.

Now I can smell Bass, they have a very distict smell and when a school of bass is around and the wind is blowing the right direction you can definately smell them. Tim has a sniffer that is 10 times better than mine. He can smell them a mile away.wink.gif

Guess I know who I'll be following at the Susky flats. wink.gifsmile.gif

------------------

yueng.gifneeds_a_shave.gif

on the good side of the grass.....

I'm with wideside, you can smell them but if you smoke it cuts down on you ability. Bass have a smell but it is more sutble but bluefish (and bunker) are stronger. I've been with guys on the beach that just asked me to take walk and we would be into fish. I asked em "How?" "Smell em" was all they would say.