Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bayfly

Easy Bulkhead Idea

5 posts in this topic

I just read the SIK post about rolling and thought everyone might be interested in this. I am a SOT Yakker, but here is an easy way to add a bulkhead to your yak. I am considering doing this to my Tarpon so I feel more comfortable accessing the rear hatch while out in the open water. If it would happen to flood, you would still have some flotation.

Buy a piece of marine quality heavy duty styrofoam or plastic. Head on down to Home Depot and pick up a can of spray insulation foam called Great Stuff. Cut the styrofoam or plastic roughly to the profile of the inside of the yak hull. Spray the Great Stuff foam around the hull where you want to put the bulhead and slide the styrofoam or plastic into place. I have used this stuff to frame in windows and doors. It is very solid and waterproof and it sticks to everything. You may want to wear gloves while doing this, because you do not want to get it on your hands. I repeat you do not want to get this on your hands.

Some expanding foams are not meant to cure out if they are to thick or not enough air around it to "gas off". Great stuff is one of these.

I tried make some interior of the boat molds using that stuff. Filling the end of a yak up to about the 18" mark. Let cure over night and cut the boat open. Center of the "blob" was still "goo". Tried another scrap boat and let cure 2 days , same result. Then spoke with some foam people and they explained it all to me.

The idea will work, ya just need the right foam.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. You don't need to fill the entire cavity with foam. You use the foam to create the seal around the plastic or styrofoam, thereby creating an air pocket.

There is no way it would dry if you just filled part of the hull with ten cans of the stuff. This isn't necessary.

Tried and true bulkhead for plastic is 3 inch minicell foam, make a template to fit first, cut to shape. You can cut it slightly large and compress it, just don't leave any big gaps. Then seal it in with a tube of 5200 or even silicon caulk.

I think the best foam for filling big volumes, if you need, are the 2 part kinds like System 3.

You can also buy a piece of 2" thick mini cell foam from a few sources online. ( Same stuff the factory uses) $20 worth will give you 1-2 bulkheads. Tracing the inside shape onto cardboard isn't as hard as you might think. Install 5200 and RTV and your all set.