Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
APS84

Line selection

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to saltwater fishing. I grew up largemouth fishing from the shore or canoe . A friend of mine gave me a 10' ugly stick and a penn reel last year to get me started and once I fought my first keeper I was hooked, no pun intended. I'm curious if I can use braid with the set up I have or if I am asking for trouble. I'd appreciate any advice I can get

You can, but if you fish near the rocks or docks and pilings you may not wish to. Braid can get cut off rather easily when it hits something sharp. Mono is better for handling that sort of rip rap.

It's not the same as LMB fishing where the rip rap is wood. Ocean rip rap can have lots of sharp edges.

youll be fine with braid, just keep a decently long flouro or mono leader (like 3ft) and you dont have to worry about it cutting much, its not like if braid touches a rock it blows up. i only use braid on my surf reels now

Thanks for the advice, I'm also new to sol and unfortunately I didn't read the welcome message until after starting this thread. I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers.