Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripedbassjeff

Anyone use kayak fishing sails before? Check these out!

21 posts in this topic

As we have been all talking about getting more distance in our kayak fishing outings. I came across a couple kayak sail options. There are a couple different options don't know what advantages and disadvantages are. From what I can see the first video with the tall sail is it looks like it goes faster. Video 2 has a round sail but is more compact.

Experiences, opinions welcome.

I just copied Hobies sail , there are exact measurements at their site. I copied it and sailed it all last year and it's fantastic. I always roll it up and carry it on the opposite side of the paddle and at the end of the day i put it up and sail home.

I haven't tried the ones in your pic though.

What kayak do u have?

when that video was taken I was almost beam reach to the wind, so no mush speed however I was about 4.5 to 5 mph most of the time. the pacific action is more like down wind sail in my opinion, I just had my first try on my new hobie sail last weekend and that's a sail to have fun with in any position, close hauled with no problem.

What kayak do u have?

when that video was taken I was almost beam reach to the wind, so no mush speed however I was about 4.5 to 5 mph most of the time. the pacific action is more like down wind sail in my opinion, I just had my first try on my new hobie sail last weekend and that's a sail to have fun with in any position, close hauled with no problem.

Even though i have a duplicate Hobie sail, i suck at sailing . What is a better type of sail for the Hobie, i would make a Pacifica type but don't know if it would be better than the Hobie type.

I went to the web sight it says it can go through cross winds and go up and down wind. The Hobie sail looks great if all you were going to do sail. But for fishing purposes it looks like it would just be in the way.

I wouldn't use any sail for fishing, no doubt it would get in the way. The Hobie sail is super easy to roll up and put on the opposite side of the paddle, it never gets in the way when your not using it. To get to a spot quicker and come home quicker it's great, just take it down and fold it up, takes only a few seconds.

Check out a company called Kayak Sailor. There are many videos on the web of their product. If I save up enough $$$$ I might pull the trigger on one of these someday. These look like a full sail kit that is forward enough on the hull to troll with it?

I've never used on but would love to try it on my PA. I have been using the Hobie sail with good results. I lock the fins in a center position to kinda act like a center board.

Rabid1

The thing that steers me away from a sail and it's use on a hobie. First of all it's hull speed is limited to what I've been reading to 3-4knots based on the stock sail. I get that while peddling. Sail area is limited which with the flex of the mast spills to much air. you'd have to rig a front stay to prevent some of the flex, but once you've done that the sides need fixed rigging too or you'd get to much side flop.

I just got a Kayak Sailor a few weeks back, have only had it out once but it worked flawlessly and was really a lot of fun. It's very light weight, and attaches quickly to my kayak (Tarpon 120). The rig is pretty far forward, so I don't think it would be in the way when fishing although I haven't tried it. It's a little expensive... but not too bad for something handcrafted in Oregon and looks to be quite sturdy -showed no ill effects after I turtled my boat :) Did I mention it was my first time sailing a kayak?