Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

A Quick Garden Survey

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

All the snow is finally off the garden, so I took a quick walk around today to evaluate things. Surprisingly, the soil is dry enough in most spots that it can be worked, which I didn't expect in light of the fact that there was still snow on it as little as 3 days ago.

Decided to pull back the mulch from a small area of the garlic bed to see what was up under it, and I was pleased to find this:

The sprouts from the bulbs are about as perfect as I could ask for this time of year, and judging from just the small area I pulled back, looks like 100% sprout. :)

This is just two or so plants of about a half a dozen of spinach out there that over-wintered........

And just one patch of three that I have of sorrel (sourgrass)........

So hopefully i can get some other issues squared away soon and get out there within a few days to start turning beds for peas and spinach.....nothing like sinking the pitchfork into the ground for the first time each year.........:)

How does the spinach do after it over winters? I found a few chard that want to come back but I'm thinking I may turn the whole area over and not bother to see how they do.

How does the spinach do after it over winters? I found a few chard that want to come back but I'm thinking I may turn the whole area over and not bother to see how they do.

Depends on the winter.....these should do fine........I mean, it is only a half dozen plants or so and won't yield a whole lot (maybe 1-2 salads worth), but they will likely be one of the first crops. :)

These were not mulched at all, except by snow come late January, not covered by a cold frame. But most of December and January had relatively mild temps, if no snow cover. Then in Feb when it got colder, we also had snow, which protected them.

Had it been a cold winter without much snow, they likely would not have fared as well. Last winter (2011-2012) we had almost no snow, but it was also very mild temps most of the winter, so they did okay.

The sorrel are perennials, so they will come back no matter what....

Chard is pretty hardy, so you may want to give it a go, or, maybe move them to another area if they are in your way. I move sorrel around every year with no ill effects.

I forgot to PM you yesterday but no joke I was gonna tell you to check your garlic. :D

Skinny.....I am quite pleased with the way it looks now, and am excited to see how it will progress and the final product. :th:

Now, if the damn peppers would only sprout.....been almost a month, and NOTHING on any of them (neither the ones you sent me or the ones I got elsewhere). As we discussed, I think it has just been too cold in here, but I am not giving up on them yet, as they may yet show signs of life.

These leeks were planted in July 2012 and I just harvested them Sat. for Easter dinner..........They over wintered well with a 6" straw mulch covering....

<br />

Nice size.....and SWEET...........

<br />

Depends on the winter.....these should do fine........I mean, it is only a half dozen plants or so and won't yield a whole lot (maybe 1-2 salads worth), but they will likely be one of the first crops. :)

These were not mulched at all, except by snow come late January, not covered by a cold frame. But most of December and January had relatively mild temps, if no snow cover. Then in Feb when it got colder, we also had snow, which protected them.

Had it been a cold winter without much snow, they likely would not have fared as well. Last winter (2011-2012) we had almost no snow, but it was also very mild temps most of the winter, so they did okay.

The sorrel are perennials, so they will come back no matter what....

Chard is pretty hardy, so you may want to give it a go, or, maybe move them to another area if they are in your way. I move sorrel around every year with no ill effects.

Transplant might be worth a shot just for something early. They don't look that great really, so see what they look like in a couple weeks.

These leeks were planted in July 2012 and I just harvested them Sat. for Easter dinner..........They over wintered well with a 6" straw mulch covering....

Those are pretty sweet!

:th:

My wife just came in with a few more goodies from the back yard............first flush of ****ake in 2013!!!!!

<br />

And yes,  she did weave the basket out of wisteria vines too  biggrin.gif.

My wife just came in with a few more goodies from the back yard............first flush of ****ake in 2013!!!!!

And yes,  she did weave the basket out of wisteria vines too  :D .

yum! ****ake's look awesome. and nice looking leeks.

Skinny.....I am quite pleased with the way it looks now, and am excited to see how it will progress and the final product. :th:

Now, if the damn peppers would only sprout.....been almost a month, and NOTHING on any of them (neither the ones you sent me or the ones I got elsewhere). As we discussed, I think it has just been too cold in here, but I am not giving up on them yet, as they may yet show signs of life.

Awesome about the garlic SIM, and bummer about the peppers. Did you end up getting a heat mat for them? Took this pic yesterday, I know we discussed this last fall. you can see how little the amount of straw I put down was. Settled down to about 1in . Looking like all 502 cloves made it :th:

I did get a heat mat under them, but I only trust it being on when I am here and awake, for reasons I explained to you in private. So at night, the flat is still getting down into the low 60's, but for about 10 hours a day, it is near 72-74. Now that the temps are warming and the flat is getting more sun, I am hoping it will stay at a more consistent 68-74 degrees, and they may yet sprout.