Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dont

reel to house a leadcore line

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for recommendations for a reel to use with a leadcore line. Prefer a fly reel type setup (a mooching reel?). I will need capacity for about 100 yards of line I think - trolling at Max depths of 100'. At least that is what I've been told. 3' of horizontal distance to sink 1' - so 300' of line to get sown 100'.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

not sure why you want a fly reel for this.... any conventional reel would likely work better(?) and you get a much faster retrieve. if yer stuck on a fly reel, then get something in the 9 to 11 weight range to hav enough capacity, and will likely have a more suitable drag system

Are trolling for salmon? some or most who fish this way usually use the islander reels from what I've seen not sure bout leadcore but they use down riggers.

I think there's applications for both. I've used straight leadcore to troll for salmon and lake trout, but I know plenty of people that use down riggers as well.

Yeh you are probably right - I'm just not familiar with level wind reels - so trying to stick with something I understand. What would I look for ina levelnwind?