Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelso

Where to launch around Coney Island?

4 posts in this topic

My friend has been killing with stories of the Herring run out in front of Jamaica Bay. I decided to take the day off tomorrow (Monday) and try to launch my kayak somewhere out there. I thought launching from Coney would be best, but I've never done it there before. Does anyone know a good place to launch over there?

Thanks,

Pete

Coney Island is no place near Jamaica Bay.

Coney Island is the ocean, as in SURF launch.

Just think! Another 2 weeks and you can be a "Polar Bear".

(You know, the group that goes swimming every year on New Years Day)

If I wanted to fish Jamaica Bay, I'd park at the Jamaica Bay Riding Academy, right off the Belt Parkway, just East of Flatbush Avenue.

No waves there, but I bet that water is COLD.

(You can have MY share)

Flounder

PS: Canarsie Pier is a great spot for Herring.

Jamaica Bay Riding Academy has a sign that says they tow unauthorized cars, so be forewarned. There is a place to pull off the Belt Pkway if you are heading east, about 2 miles before you get to Canarsie Pier, it's right near the beach, easy to launch from-just be aware that it's a known gay cruising area. You can also launch from the seaplane ramp inside Floyd Bennett airport which is at the end of Flatbush Avenue right before the Marine Parkway Bridge. I'm pretty certain you need a cartop launching permit to launch there, but people have told me that they use that area all the time with no hassle. Parking during the day does not require a permit. Good luck