Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian White

Memorial Day Weekend?

13 posts in this topic

Anyone planning to fish on Memorial Day weekend (Monday)? I was thinking about somewhere on the Delaware shore, but am open to suggestions. Preferrably within 3 hours of York, PA. That basically leaves MD, DE, NJ as options for me. Did anyone put in a reservation for good weather yet?

Christian,

I was hoping to get down to Delaware this weekend but the weather doesn't look too good as of now. I was thinking of yaking is the Susquhanna Reservior sometime this weekend! This is the section above the Conowingo. Another fisher friend of posted some photos on another board and claims it's a great small mouth area. It's shallow in alot of places so boat traffic is minimal. Place looks like a really peaceful paddle and fishy to boot! Let me know, I'm not really sure what's going on this weekend quite yet, but if I don't head south, and the weather warrants a trip, I'm headed there!

flyak,

Not sure yet! I'm still waiting to see what the weather gods have instore for us this weekend. I would love to head South with the yak, but won't unless I have good weather. A trip to the Susky will have to be on a good day, preferably before any rain hits! I'll give the weather a good look today and hopefully can make a decision by tomorrow!

They've really been moving water through Conowingo this week due to the heavy rains this past weekend. In previous weeks, flows peaked at about 70K CFS, they are currently running as high as 200K at peak times. That's a lot of water; take a look at the camera on the dam at the USGS website and you'll see what I mean. The guage had been topping out at about 16 feet; it's now topping out at 21-22 feet. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv/?site_no=01578310&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00062,0 0054

[This message has been edited by Christian White (edited 05-22-2002).]

Christian,

We're going to kayak above the dam so the flow shouldn't effect us too much. Great link, thanks!

You interested in Hitting the lake above the dam Saturday morning? Looks like Rain for Saturday evening into Sunday. Might be good fishin' before the front rolls through. Might try and hit Octarara Res. on Monday too.

Flyak,

Is Saturday Morning good for you to hit above the dam? Monday at Octarara for some crappie?

Anyone else interested? Flodder?

The more the merrier! I would like to get out as early as possible on Sat. morning. What's good for you? Since your in Coatesville I could meet you on my way or we could carpool if possible. Send me an email or PM with you address or someplace to meet you and a good time. I usually head down rt. 10 to rt.1, but we might be better off taking 30 east and heading down river from there. Not sure yet, have to look up on map. I'll take care of directions. biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Saturday is out for me, as is Sunday. I have plans with the wife and kids both days. Monday is my traditional day alone, mostly because my wife has always had a "day with the girls" on that day. I like to take advantage of the opportunity to get away a bit on that day. While I appreciate the invite to fish the lake for crappie, I'm probably looking for a little more adventure on Monday. The saltwater keeps calling, I'm just not sure where it'll be. A big water trout trip like the Lehigh or the Upper Deleware would definitely be of interest as well, but I live 5 minutes from one of the best crappie/walleye/bass waters in SC PA (Lake Redman/Lake Williams). I might just go to the Indian River area and fish behind the marina in Rehobeth Bay or something.

Hi Christian

Sorry I'm going to miss you on Saturday frown.gif but there's still plenty of season left to fish together cwm12.gif. Hope you do well on Monday.

Hi Dick,

I sent you an e-mail re: Sat. Talk soon.

-Ed

------------------

flyak

I tell ya what we need to plan is a upper Susquehanna River Carp fly fishing/yak trip this year. A little sight fishing for "golden" sucker mouth redfish wink.gif

I'm on vacation this coming week and plan on fishing after Monday on.

[This message has been edited by Jim DE (edited 05-23-2002).]

Jim De,

Any trip that close to me is a definate. I've never caught/fished for carp. But am willing to try.... You sure we can't twist your arm into joining us Sat. Morning??? smile.gif