Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sinjin

Chu Bait Question - Fallfish (Dace)

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Probably not; but don't know for sure. We catch nice fish on shiners of all sizes, but I like medium to large. Of course, the smelt are coming back pretty good, and you can see them washed up along the shores on windy days. It is illegal to use them; but I can only imagine what would happen if you picked up a few and used them with an worm - air blower to float them off the bottom a few inches. ;)

Best legal bait for them if going for large is suckers.  Smelt...they love em.  The big ones from quinsig used to work the best.  Ever jig a smelt in June???   I have caught lots of lakers of rt 70 and 110.  Bigger the bait the better.  I pulled one out that took a very, very large hook caught shiner and had a foot long salmon in its mouth.  They eat and eat and eat....  Best way to catch early in the season is casting metal(Fyord, little cleo, krockodile, daredevil,..).  Cast as far as you can.  Let it hit bottom and work it back.  The hits are hard in early spring. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdowning View Post

I saw smelt last spring at the Chu. The temptation to use them must be overwhelming for some. cool.gif

-bd

The smelt ban is so stupid in my opinion.  They tried to eraticate them from quabbin and came very close to doing so. Why not let people net them and use as bait???  I use to watch the smelt get gobbled by lakers at the pumping station after a 50 mile trip in an underground tube..