Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

FISHING GEAR & APARTMENTS

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

This thread is for those who fish and live in apartments...

I recently moved into an apartment with my wife and i'm finding it difficult to clean my gear after a night out and letting the damp gear dry off without my wife divorcing me tongue.gif

Case in point... Fished saturday night and after getting home I left all my gear in the car with the exception of my rod and reel... My waders and boots needed a good rinsing, my bag, and my dry top too but I didn't know where i'd let my gear dry...

Luckily we have a wash room on every floor so rinsing my gear is not an issue but putting it somewhere to dry is... I live on the 7th floor but i don't have a way of hanging my gear out of the window...

Does anyone have any solutions or similar experience? 

Thanks,

Mag

Do you have a balcony or deck? 

Call it lazy I guess but after each outing I take off my waders and boots and put em in the vehicle and that's where they stay until the next outing.  No problems in the last 5 yrs except for boot laces.  Rods/Reels I rinse off in the shower then put em out on the patio.   

No balcony or deck unfortunately, we live on the backside of the building and don't have that option thumbd.gif

I tend to leave my gear in the car from time but I like to take care of my gear and make sure that I rinse off the saltwater to ensure my gear lasts a long time...

I do rinse my rod and reel in the shower thats not a problem... The problem is where do I hang my soggy waders, dry top, bag and boots?

Sounds like a real nightmare, no storage area or anything, wow. The only things i wash down are usually rod and reel and i have multiple microfiber cloths to quickly dry them off. Another option is to give your rod a good coating of wax, let it dry and buff off. Not only will this preserve the finish but will make water bead right off, the best of both worlds.

Carry a a small pump spray bottle of water and leave it in your trunk , it will warm and remain that way until your done fishing and is perfect to use when you get back to your car to spray down your reel to get off the salt deposits. I spray down my rod and reels before i pack them away to go home, adjust the mist to light for the reels and full power for the rod.

Reel manufacturers recommend spraying down your reel with warm water anyway so do it before the trip home and quickly dry the reel off before putting it in the trunk. Doing the above solves your issues, carry a gallon of water in the trunk for large stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

Sounds like a real nightmare, no storage area or anything, wow. The only things i wash down are usually rod and reel and i have multiple microfiber cloths to quickly dry them off. Another option is to give your rod a good coating of wax, let it dry and buff off. Not only will this preserve the finish but will make water bead right off, the best of both worlds.

Carry a a small pump spray bottle of water and leave it in your trunk , it will warm and remain that way until your done fishing and is perfect to use when you get back to your car to spray down your reel to get off the salt deposits. I spray down my rod and reels before i pack them away to go home, adjust the mist to light for the reels and full power for the rod.

Reel manufacturers recommend spraying down your reel with warm water anyway so do it before the trip home and quickly dry the reel off before putting it in the trunk. Doing the above solves your issues, carry a gallon of water in the trunk for large stuff.

Perfect suggestions!  Thank you so much!  I will def try that it should resolve my issues for the most part!

Mag

Still haven't found a good way to deal with waders...problem with hanging them in the shower is that usually there is a lot of sand stuck to them so unless you can rinse it off outside i wouldn't recommend putting them in the shower.

I've always rised everything off in the shower and let it hang there. If the wife wanted to shower I'd just take them out and hang them from a closet door. I use a boot tray to collect dripping water if it's out of the tub.

One thing that does help is that on nice sunny days I will stop by my brother's (fortunately he only live 10 mins from me) place and leave them out in his backyard hanging from something. They dry out nicely and UV rays kill any mold building up in them from leaving them in the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tron453 View Post

Is there roof access to hang up your stuff?

no roof access unfortunately...

Guys good points I like the boot tray option that Killian gave... Anyone know where I can buy one of those?  Home Depot?  Lowes?