Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishOnNJ

New Member & Question about Raritan Bay saftey

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone - My name is Brian.  I've been visiting this site for awhile, but more in a passive fashion.  I love to read all the good insight and information you guys have.  My goal is to participate as much as I can.  I grew up in Ocean county, so I'm knowledgeable of the Jersey shore.  I enjoy salt and fresh water fishing year round.

My question for the group - is there any concern for boating safety in the Raritan bay this year?  I'm talking about all the floating objects in the water due to Sandy.  In Seaside, a few washers and dryers drifted ashore this weekend.   I like fishing from the beach, but once in awhile its nice to jump on a boat for a trip.  I just wonder how dangerous it really is this year.

Thanks Gentleman.

-Brian

Welcome to SOL, Brian. I heard of some hazards out there. I have seen them continue to pull sunken boats out of the bay on big barges. I also heard a story second hand from a friend about vast amounts of sand piling up in the bay and the bottom contour being generally whack. Someone ran aground last week in the middle of the bay. In water that should have been 20-30 ft deep.

There is concern. Won't really know how big of a concern until we all start getting boats in the water and start hitting stuff. An entire lighthouse is "missing", so that pretty much paints a picture of what you can expect.

Yes, please for your sake and others slow down this year.

Also, kayak popularity is growing by every year.

This past Saturday I counted six alone in one small stretch of the RB.

was talking to one of the njbba guys who did the fences at ibsp over weekend, he said somebody clipped a sunken escalade and tore up their prop in one of the channels up there but couldnt be too specific.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.  I have a similar feeling.  I'm scared to see whats going to happen when a bunch of boats are all out there at the same time, I can only imagine what is going to churn up. This is the time of year I go out on the party boats with the youngsters of my family. I don't know this year.  Sad to say. 

Here's an article I saw on Huffington Post about the situation: http://goo.gl/hICTC

Just got my first boat and I was planning on using the sayreville ramp next weekend to launch her for the first time. Has anyone gone from sayreville down to the hook yet? If not, I will carefully make an attempt next week and report here.