Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gwiz

Favorite rubber bait????

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

For years I used slug-gos and still do,but the past 3-4 years I've used hurley s cape cod sand eel with great sucess. I even got some all white and glass ones they work great too. Was just daydreaming. Wondering what other guys were using. Seems like new stuff comming out all the time. Good luckto all on comming season. Be safe.

I think you are right. I also think it what we as fisherman have confidence in. If you are expecting a strike you will be doing everything right.

Best rubber for where or when?

I use all of the above mentioned, all diff colors, but different stuff for different places.

Most of the tails are nearly all the same. The jig heads makes each very different.

For Canal:

Hogys, Hurlys, Gags

For sandy places ..like Monomoy or Outter Cape, I use Ronz and Hurlys (cuz the paint job is soo good)

If you use Ronz in Canal with standard tapered Ronz jig heads, your are likely to snag easy.

Some local tackle shops carry Ronz special bullet heads just for that reason. But then I think they swim crappy.

The Ronz standard tapered head swims like no other, darting side-to side.

The Bill Hurlys heads work well in Canal and don't snag as much, but they do snag and then your done. So bullet nose jigs are usually the norm there anyways.

Gags heads seem to work well in Canal and look better than a bullet. The upturned jaw keeps them from snagging as much.

I use all of the rubbers mentioned on bullet head jigs for Canal, and all of the same rubbers on ROnz tapered heads everywhere else.

The Got Stripers baits work great for swimming, and the translucent colors are very nice, work great on sunny days at the rips. GS baits also work awesome for top surface when rigged with an extra large offset hook too! The baits are heavier than most others, so rigged with just an offset hook makes casting easy.

In spring, when its cloudy, a pink Sluggo works wonders, white rest of year.

I personally love Savage Gear Sand Eels. Of course they're expensive and I don't like using them once bluefish show up, but that has been by far the best producing rubber for me. A little super glue on the head will hold the tail in place nicely and will enable you to catch 5 or 6 bass before the tail is garbage...the new colors they came out with should only improve on their performance and the new herring shad looks like it'll be a top producer this year as well.

All these baits seem to do the same thing. Best bang for the buck are sluggos. I think Hogy and GotStrypers can get expensive. I really like black an white, and will use the occasional chartreuse and the occasional "angry squid".

If you're beginning to feel the pinch of high priced plastic baits, you really owe it to yourself to spend a weekend making a few molds, then begin pouring your own.

Cut's the price way down, and gives you the ability to make colors manufacturers haven't even thought of yet.;)

If you're beginning to feel the pinch of high priced plastic baits, you really owe it to yourself to spend a weekend making a few molds, then begin pouring your own.

Cut's the price way down, and gives you the ability to make colors manufacturers haven't even thought of yet.;)

X2 :) make anything you want

Tper

I've caught more stripers with 6-7" Sluggos than with anything else.  The 8" RonZs are also very productive.

I tried Tsunami holographic sand eels and don't think I ever boated a fish.  Same with the holographic squid in the rips.