Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SwimBait

Belly Grommet Installation

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have been wroking on a darter kit recently and was wondering how people install the belly grommet.

I'm thinking I probably don't even need to use it, but in the long run, if I don't lose the lure, it would be best to install it.

The problem is I can't get the grommet to form to the rounded countour of the belly very well. I tried rolling it while in the hole and that didn't work, then I got out the small tack hammer and bent the sides a bit, and it was a slightly better fit but not great. Finally, in an attempt at perfection, I swung the hammer a bit too hard and really messed up that grommet good.hammer-time.gif

What is the best way to shape the grommet and install it?

Yup, like JerryV said. The only problem is that you already have the hole for the swivel already drilled so using a larger bit now is going to be tough. I use a 1/2" forstner bit to make a slight recess for the belly grommet to sit in before I drill by hook hole. One thing to try is to gently grab the bottom of the grommet and lightly squeeze it with a pair of pliers. Sometimes thiis can bend the top of the grommet just enough to fit the contour of the belly. It will make the bottom of the grommet a bit oblong, but it usually still fits in the hole....don't forget to cement / glue / epoxy the grommet in place.

Thanks, that is helpful info--the needle nose pliers would have been a better choice than the hammer.

This is my first plug so I'm ok with it looking a little fuggly and I think I can still salvage the grommet.

Charleston is a good guy and offered to do a bunch of grommets for me if I sent them to him. But I just don't build that fast.

I slide the grommet to the base of a small screwdriver and tap two opposite sides down a bit with a pair of vise grips. They sit very flush after that.

I made the exact same mistake, I ended up buying a dowel and drilling holes in that to shape the grommet, rather than bang up the plug.  I got that idea from someone helpful on this site.

I've been using a 1/2" Forstner bit thanks to some advice here in this forum and I am very happy with the results.

That's the ticket. It's called spot facing. When you drill a flat on the radius just deep enough to flatten it out. Then come in with the correct diameter drill. I use a brad point to do my belly hook holes. The bradpoint picks up the center of the 1/2 " forstner used to spot face. Then you can smooth everything around the grommet when you clear coat the plug. Makes for rea nice fit and finish.

I use the dowel method (found it in the search function) Drill a hole in a dowel (hook hole), place grommet in hole, take a scrap piece of wood and form it to the dowel. Put the scrap over the dowel (grommet) and hit it with a mallet. Grommet will take shape of dowel, good to go.