Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassfisher18

how do you register a boat in NY without a title?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm hoping maybe someone has already done this? I just bought a 14 semi v and it didn't have a title or numbers from previous registration. I have a bill of sale and the serial and model #s are on the transom tag

I sold small boats in NY for years.. Unless things have changed in the last few years, which i doubt, you will need a title or an Manufacturer Statement of Origin.. Which you may be able to get from the builder if they are still in business.. you will also need your bill of sale, and proof that you paid sales tax.. without which, the DMV will collect the tax before issuing the reg... The only loophole to the MSO/title rule would be if the boat was built prior to 1973, when the HIN# requirement was instituted... if you go the ny dmv site you can read all the rules and download all the required applications.. good luck!

In NJ you have to drag the boat over to the State Marine Police. They fill out some papers which allows you to fill out some other papers and then pay some money in order to make the boat legal.

I've got kind of the same thing going on, I bought a boat from a guy in Mass a few weeks ago and he didn't have a title for either the boat or the trailor, he said Mass holds on to the title after you register them, which I'm not going to second guess. Anyway, I live in Ct and need to register the boat as well, I have the current Mass registration and a bill of sale, I'm wondering the same thing, how difficult it's going to be to register both the boat and trailor in my name here in Ct.

No mass does not hold title never buy a boat or car without title. If everything is legit the guy can pay to have the title re issued and sine it over to u if not u baught a lawn awnameant.

I just found out Ct doesn't require a title to register a boat, it is a registration state only and a title for a trailer is only needed to register that trailer if the trailer is rated for over 3000 lbs. Hmm, this is somewhat confusing, so it sounds like I'll be able to register the boat and trailer in Ct without having a title for either of them, but if I want to sell the boat or trailer to anyone who lives in a state that requires a title for either boat or trailer in order to register them, then I'm screwed if I don't have a title for either, I won't be able to sell that boat or trailer to that person because they won't be able to register that boat or trailer in their state if their state requires a title to register them. How screwed up is that!!!

Hey bait man, just so you know, I just tallked to the guy from Mass that sold me the boat and he swears that Mass took the title to the boat when he registered it there, he said he'll go down to the Mass DMV tomorrow and get it back from them, sign the back of it and mail it to me so I'll have it in case I sell the boat to someone who lives in a state that requires a title to register the boat.