Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FJG3

Which line for distance on a spinner?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking to get a little more distance strictly plugging, rod and reel are designed for braid and throws anything I put on it. no problems at all. I was thinking 14lb fireline original or 20lb suffix 832 since they appear to be the same diam and similar breaking strength. What do you think? Or is there a better choice?

If your priority is purely distance, go with an very high quality 8 weave braid.........Here is a list of the very top of the line, without regard to price....can be very costly.

Not saying the lines like PP super slick and 832 aren't good, but here's the very best of the best for distance, and not necessarily abrasion resistance. Go with smaller diameters in the 20-35lb classes. Not an exhaustive list by any means.

Daiwa Samurai (standard or regular accudepth) 20 or 30lb.....the 20 measures only about.16mm and the 30 about .18/.19 mm.

Daiwa Tournament 8 Accudepth (this is not Samurai)--30lb is only .16mm

Daiwa Sensor 8 Braid (35lb)

Sunline PE X8 Jigger, 35lb.

Fishing from shore throwing light swim baits 3/8 to 3/4 oz changed my thinking on line diameters for distance. I also went to larger spool reels  like the 850 penn to cut down on line drag over the spool .  I tried the fireline and the flat weave didn't cast as well  for me as the lines with a round weave. Spiderwire and PP 15& 20lb have basically been the 2 lines I used from shore and they performed fairly well. The Spiderwire stealth seemed to have less problems with wind knots as well as the PP .  Thanks for the information on the other lines as distance is a priority for me as well. Being able to cast over the farthest turbine running in a tailrace means  the difference in catching fish or going home dry.  

The lines dcast mentioned are excellent for distance but you need to remember that they are not breaking at close to double their listed ratings like Sufix 832 and even PP usually do. There's always a compromise and what you gain in distance you lose a bit in actual strength.

I find that most of the 20 pound lines cast extremely well and since most break considerably higher than 20 pounds they are perfectly acceptable for most surf fishing tasks. If distance and enough strength to handle most any surf caught fish is your goal think twice before you decide to spool up with 50.

I was also interested in this and found the 20# 832 braid to be quite impressive in distance, smoothness/tight weave. Like others have said as well, the sufix 832 offers two large benefits worth considering, i.e breaking strength and diameter. To really get a bit more distance try using the 832 but remember that technique is the first "free" area to turn to look for improvements. I've gained 30yds this summer just by practicing better technique, best of all it cost $0!

Tightlines