Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alr

fishfinder/transducer

18 posts in this topic

I know there has been much discusion on fishfinders so I went to West Marine and US Boat to check them out. Well, I was confused before I started, now.....forget it.(easy on the remarkssmile.gif) Anyhow, question can the transducer be mounted to the side or front to get a picture rather than the traditional donward mount? I figure this would screw up depth but who cares seeing as we are in shallow water for the most part. That being said any personal preferences? The Garmin 240 looks like a decent machine. I'd like to buy once rather than find out latter that had I spent a few bucks more I could have had a better system. Personal note, when the sales people ask what kind of boat your using and you tell them it's a yak they sort of look at you well...anyhow thanks guys.

Air,

Yes, they do lokk at you a bit odd when you say you're mounting it in a yak!hat's their problem!

Goes to show you how unusual this all stll is around here.

The Garmin 240 is a great system.

I've had to remount the tranny a few times, but it worked flawlessly yesterday.

It has great options ie: low batt. alarm, fish according to size alarm, backlight, digit size options, display options, etc, etc.

You can definitely get a less expensive model but I'm real happy with the 240.

PM me if you have any mounting questions.

Air,

Yes, they do look at you a bit odd when you say you're mounting it in a yak! That's their problem!

Goes to show you how unusual this all still is around here.

The Garmin 240 is a great system.

I've had to remount the tranny a few times, but it worked flawlessly yesterday.

It has great options ie: low batt. alarm, fish according to size alarm, backlight, digit size options, display options, etc, etc.

You can definitely get a less expensive model but I'm real happy with the 240.

PM me if you have any mounting questions.

JonS, looked at the bottomline like you suggested. Bottom and BOTH sides. More to add to the confusion. Any particular model strike you?

DASBOOT, going to put(whatever I buy)on my pungo and/or loon 138. If I remember right there are 2 possible transducers. Thinking the thru hull in an area where it's less apt to get banged up. How did you end up doing yours? Likewise JonS how did you mount yours.

I use a Lowrance X71 with a suction cup transducer mount and it works well. I've read the sidefinder vs. traditional depthfinder discussions, but to be honest I'm not that concerned about seeing sideways. I like the suction cup mount because my transducer has a built in temp sensor, so I have a constant reading on surface temp. The ability to see bottom features and to have constant temp is very important to me. Rather than see a fish, I prefer to find conditions that seem to produce fish through trial-and-error(i.e.- 55 degrees and 5-6 feet of water with a 1/0 white half-and-half seems to produce today). Then I can try to duplicate those conditions. It's about patterning. After all, how many times do you mark tons of fish but catch none of them, only to catch a fish you didn't see in totally different circumstances? Happens to me all the time.

AIR,

If you go into "search"(just below Post Reply)and look under "FF installation" and "fish finder installation", you can read the lengthy dialog on this subject along with the pics I posted.

It may answer a lot of your questions.

And yes, I use a thru the hull tranny.

The 240 also has a temp. guage.

I use a Lowrance X71 with a suction cup transducer mount and it works well. I've read the sidefinder vs. traditional depthfinder discussions, but to be honest I'm not that concerned about seeing sideways. I like the suction cup mount because my transducer has a built in temp sensor, so I have a constant reading on surface temp. The ability to see bottom features and to have constant temp is very important to me. Rather than see a fish, I prefer to find conditions that seem to produce fish through trial-and-error(i.e.- 55 degrees and 5-6 feet of water with a 1/0 white half-and-half seems to produce today). Then I can try to duplicate those conditions. It's about patterning. After all, how many times do you mark tons of fish but catch none of them, only to catch a fish you didn't see in totally different circumstances? Happens to me all the time.

Bingo, what CW said, suction cup works fine smile.gif

Hey Porter,

Can you shed some light on the Wet Cell you just installed? Tis the season. The new proto wetcell I have from Max,... well I have not decided which yak to stick it in. So you are it as cheif experimentor wink.gif

And DASBOOT,

I assume by simply waiting for the GE Silicone adhesive to fully set the second time that it is working well now? I saw your post that indicated it was now OK. Or did you change adhesives?

Newbies: Read the archived threads on this topic, as lots of good info on fish finders has been discussed by the SOL members.

BTW-Without having the necessary sofisticated software to run a sidefinder, the Garmin turned sideways will not give optimum results. If you want sidefinding, then like JonS suggested, look into the Bottom Line units, which have also been thoroughly discussed just lately here on SOL.

Good Luck. Get Wet!

S1

To avoid some confusion the Bottomline that seems to make the most sense is the Tournament 1200 as oppossed to the Fishing Buddy 1200. The former is designed to have a permanently mounted transducer while the latter is for mounting the entire unit on a transom or a gunnel with clamps. The additional drag of this setup is a large drawback to say nothing of the fact that most of these yaks have niether a transom or a gunnel.

It also seems to me that if I see fish on the Sidefinder and still not catch any, I'm better off than not knowing the fish were there. There also exists the possibility that I might catch a fish I otherwise would not go after if not first seeing it on the Sidefinder.

Check BPS for this baby. I got one a couple of weeks ago for $99.95.

I have the Gaqrmin 160 and love the unit. I ugraded from a hummin bird 100. I said it before and I know it's crazy, but I use my unit between several boats. I just put a small dollop of grease on the puck and push down where I want it. Today before we went out I actully did a bit of surgery to my Americans hull stiffner in the bow and now my puck slides neatly into it's little home with a dollop of grease and off we went. Worked great. No complaints. I do wipe it up afterwards witha paper towel. Got through-the-hull temp and saw LOTS of stripahs. All with lockjaw unfortunately. Scott

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 04-15-2002).]

Sharpy,

I used the same GE silicone.

This time I put a really large dollop on the tranny bottom, wiggled it into place, put a Kryptonite lock on top and didn't touch it for a good week or more.

All I can say is it performed flawlessly on Sunday.

Let's hope the trend continues!biggrin.gif

I didn't get to out to fish today so I figuered I'll troll here devil.gif

I have the cheapest FF I could find ($50 bucks on Ebay). With the niftyest mount on the planet biggrin.gif Its an eagle supra ID and it works great. Unlike everybody else, I think we should poke as many holes in the boat as possible. Okay, I'm kidding. But I have a bunch in mine. I've taken a more permanent route and flush mounted my ff in the deck of my boat. Flushmountfishfinder.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the explorer has the same flat spot between your feet as my XL (where the warning label is ?) Seriously though, I ship very little water and used to always play and launch in the surf. And "goop" has been holding my puck in place for 4 years.

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

[This message has been edited by Waljojo (edited 04-15-2002).]

Guys,

Are any of the units your speaking of totally self contained other than the puck?I want to get one but don't want to mess with the battery part of it..Walt

Swfly-Yup icon14.gif

Bwaters.gif

I exclusively recommend and use the "Vexilar Boundary Waters Portable Fish Finder". It is simply, hands down, the very best portable on the market. And it doesn't just cost a mere $50.00 wink.gif

Bwaters2.gif

The Boundary Waters use 8 AA bats and with bats and case weighs 2.5#, and runs a week!!

Bwaters3.gif

Many options are available for Xducers, brackets. The screen produces a really high quality hi-rez image to 400 feet. and has all the features of the big-pro models like alarms, auto ranging, fish icons and back lighting. Has temp and aux power input too.

Bwaters4.gif

I have a dual cone angle Xducer set-up for deep and shallow readings-in a custom wetcell internally mounted in a kayak. This works swell.

Bwaters5.gif

BTW-Their optional Narrow cone angle Iceducer Xducer fits nicely in many SOT kayak scuppers and is one slick way to read the bottom! This company has a "dot Com" presence smile.gif Seek and ye shall find.

RL

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 04-15-2002).]