Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beautifulmtairylodge

What is this rod good for?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

My friend talked me into buying a Century Ultimate Flattie blank, when I was surf speaking, inexperienced. So I built the rod with alconite guides. I live on LI mostly fish the South Shore, I am not a competition caster, nor do I want to be. I want to know if this is a crazy rod for the surf down here, or I need something shorter and stiffer? It is 11-6" and apparently will cast 2 oz 1000yds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautifulmtairylodge View Post

Oh yeah 1000ft you will have to forgive me I have a sinus infection and a poor understanding of imperial measurment.

1000ft is still an extreme claim....I think the world record approaches 900 ft.

My friend talked me into buying a Century Ultimate Flattie blank, when I was surf speaking, inexperienced. So I built the rod with alconite guides. I live on LI mostly fish the South Shore, I am not a competition caster, nor do I want to be. I want to know if this is a crazy rod for the surf down here, or I need something shorter and stiffer? It is 11-6" and apparently will cast 2 oz 1000yds.

Generally speaking Flattie rods are used for fishing the estuary's or tidal inlets for flat fish. The method of fishing is generally the same as it is here with 2 to 4 oz of lead and a small baited hook. Flattie rods have a very soft tip that allows for small bite detection at the end of a cast. The century flattie trows 2 to 4 ounces extremely well. and also makes a nice pencil or big swimmng plug rod due to its soft tip. great feel to plugs. Also is a very nice rod for Eels, As far as a 1000 feet goes, depending on the caster it will take you 3 or 4 casts end to end to get there.

Cheers Big Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchell master View Post

Scott hows your casting been going did you get that reel you wanted for xmas?

I did, and I got to use it a bit before the cold really set in. I haven't had a chance to use it yet this spring. THough I have gone fishing 2 or 3 times hoping to catch some of the season's first fish. Nothing yet though, but I haven't given it a concerted effort.

I haven't been practicing my casting since december when it finally just got too cold for my fingers.

I need to respool my reel with lighter line if I am going to cast any further. I am spooling my line at somewhere between 175-190 yards, which is the approximate line capacity for my reel at 20 lbs mono.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotmcpherson View Post

I did, and I got to use it a bit before the cold really set in. I haven't had a chance to use it yet this spring. THough I have gone fishing 2 or 3 times hoping to catch some of the season's first fish. Nothing yet though, but I haven't given it a concerted effort.

I haven't been practicing my casting since december when it finally just got too cold for my fingers.

I need to respool my reel with lighter line if I am going to cast any further. I am spooling my line at somewhere between 175-190 yards, which is the approximate line capacity for my reel at 20 lbs mono.

Give Super tough trylene 17lb bubba a try loved that comm. I use it on my old red 6000