Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul_M

Greyhounds and prime rib don't mix well.....

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

So been making prime ribs the last few years. Basically at 450F for 15 mins and then reduce to 325F for the balance. My system is using the oven's temp probe in the larger, wider end of the roast w the setting at 120F(the min that the oven will accept.) I watch the internal temp reading till it hits about 105F and pull the roast, tent and cover. I also normally use the chart and keep track of it by time as well.

A customer had given me a bunch of Indian River pink grapefruits so I decided to try a Greyhound(vodka & Grapefruit juice) using freshly squeezed juice. I'm not really a drinker and have had vodka maybe once in the last 20 years, but these things went down so smooth. :D So I'm somewhere btwn the 3rd and 4th ones and the effing oven is going haywire. The temp probe setting is blinking, numbers won't input correctly, and the oven is running at much hotter temps than what it was set at. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??????

So I pull the roast it's at 100F and I breath a sigh of relief, put it back in. That's where I lost control. Ended up being done too quickly compared to the rest of the dinner. Even w no tent it gained almost 20F on the carryover since the effing oven was running so damn hot. The thickest parts were med-rare and well the rest was way over done. The fond ended up being charred and the gravy sucked because I didn't add any to the gravy. Fortunately I made my own beef stock Saturday so the gravy wasn't horrible. Pop will use the leftover meat to make hash.:o

I drank at least 5 maybe 6 grehounds btwn 1pm and 6pm. :D Next holiday meal I might try lasagna - it's hard to mess that up.;)

So I ruined the roast, and probably have to have some dumb "parts changer" over to redo the control panel on the oven at a huge expense.......technology - don't you love it.

Lips that touch mine will never touch minecwm27.gif

I blew one last fall.  It seemed to carry over much more than "normal".  I have no excuse though, I was sober as a church mouse.

I believe it's the same oven you have. Seemed to fire up perfectly this morning, though. :wee:

I really have better luck w roasts and especially steaks putting right out of the fridge though......37F......than room temp. This was a room temp job.