Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

Maiden Voyage Tarpoon 140

4 posts in this topic

My yak is no longer a virgin. I could not resist this spring-like day and took my Tarpoon 140 out for a maiden paddle.

I suited up in my waders and a Simm top, and while I stayed dry, I will need some practice learning how to do more than shimmy so that I can sit with my feet over the side and reach into the back. I'm a heavy guy and any movement is a test of the laws of physics.

For today, it was face forward with a bomber trolled from the stern. I had no intention on finding our just how waterproof were the waders and top.

I did have a light rod with a herring rig, but no schools of bait fish were present.

I paddled in Cold Spring Harbor and took her to midway, then headed north making a line to the Lloyd Harbor buoy. There I took a rest, had a buttered roll, and took care of my emails and phone calls before heading back.

While there were no fish, I was pleased to see that I had connected the sonar/gps (Hummingbird 505c) correctly and it worked without any problems. I had to use my paddle to toggle between views to check that it was properly working. (Note: invent waterproof remote control for kayak electronics).

The tarpon does not have much in the way of flat surfaces, but generous wads of Goop sealed any openings in the sonar/gps mounts. The round gps disc-shaped antenna mounted very nicely on the flat circle on the center. I had to get two bolts and nylon nuts from the marine store, since the unit only came with wood screws. Again, a little goop sealed the notches for flush mounting.

Expecting to take her out at night some time in the future, I mounted a compass behind on the dash behind the foot pedals along with a toggle switch, which I coated with liquid electric tape and a waterproof hood. A 12v 7 amp battery powers the electronics. In-line 3 amp fuses protect each item.

I had read a review of the yak by SantiagoII on another site. He was correct about the two inches of water by your feet, and easy handling. He may be correct about the ideal weight of 185, but she did stay afloat with my 235lbs. (we have dropped 12 lbs and hope to be nearer 200lb by the spring) It was difficult to keep the yak heading with the tide, so I expect when the rudder comes in it will make a big difference.

I placed my surf bag with some plugs, and small plastic marine bag for various plastic container for line, hooks, swivels, scissors, etc, a small radio, Plano bait bucket, anchor and fish net into a milk crate. Unfortunately, the milk crate is too wide as the yak narrows toward the stern. I'll need to take some measurements and get another one and return the current one to its original function to for newspaper recycling. The bungee cords held the crate in place even though it didn't sit flush.

I can't wait for spring!

Welcome to the T140 club!

The water is no big deal. Just keep the bulk of weight behind you. As long as you don't overload the nose, the boat will perform great.

You've got a great boat!

I'm glad you had a good time Mike. Look into installing a rudder It makes a huge difference IMHO. Remember to tie everything you like onto a leash especially your paddle. (I keep a cheap spare 2 pc. paddle stowed in the forward hatch. I've been up sheet creek many times)

Just wait until you have your first sleigh ride YEEEHAAAA !!!!

thanks guys, the rudder was on back order and should be in some time soon. The shop is closed for two weeks. When it reopens, we'll purchase a tandem for the wife and kids so we can beach hop in our harbor. I do see a second tandem in our future.

I think I over did it with leashes, so line was everywhere. I reorganized over the weekend, using some dry bags to group items; emergency bag, electronics bag, anchor and drift sock in the plano bait holder, plugs in a surf bag, everything else in plano boxes which fits into a large tupperware container that can be bungeed in the rear well. I installed a few clips in the cockpit so that I can tie down gear as needed once I'm out in the water.

Leashes for the rods and paddle.

Is it Spring yet?