Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Broke 7" off a new rod, keep it or toss it

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I just purchased a lightweight rod for out back and on the way home with the kids, the rod ended up sticking out the window and the rod snapped when it was closed.

It did not cost much but i really like it. Should I replace the tip or just replace it?

The rod is 7 ft spinning and 7 inches have been snapped off.

A new tip top (the guide) only cost $2-3, if you can find one that fits at a local shop. They probably would sell it to you and glue it on for $5.

If you don't have some kind of super waranty, I would try this first, might be fishable. Depending on who made it, replacing the top might not be an option.

You may not like the rod with 7 inches off the tip but for a few bucks it's worth sticking another tip on and trying it. If you don't like it use it for a spare/loaner rod.

Don

I would also wrap some thread just below the tip and epoxy if you have the stuff to do it. If it was caught in the window, it probably splintered alittle. The wrap will keep it from breaking inder pressure.

repaired a buddies St Croix  10ft surf rod that was broken between the last running guide and the tip . I cut about 3" off total to get rid of the splintered section . I had about 6'' of tip left to fit in an oversize bottom section so this is how I made the repair . 

I sanded about an inch of the tip section, and rolled some 600grit sand paper into a tube and sanded the inside of the butt section lightly, cleaned the two pieces well with alcohol , using a trimmed down Qtip to clean the female section , I mixed some rod finish and managed a significant amount in the female section using a cut off coffee stirrer to funnel the mixture. I plugged the tip section so the rod finish would not flow into the tip and put the two pieces together with guides aligned, tapped it up and hung it upside down over nite so the gap would fill-in the reverse taper. The next day I did an under wrap on the  female section with kevlar fly tying thread so it would not split under pressure, wrapped the tip section with A size thread  to even out the wrap and installed a single foot guide with A thread  on the female section. Applied rod finish to the repair and after several trips and quite a few fish the repair has held up. I have used the kevlar thread on several repair jobs  where female sections had begun  to show stress lines due to poor factory wraps, you just have to go easy with the thread tension  with the kevlar  thread  or you  bind the female section and the rod will not fit together without sanding .