Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eja32

Lets talk fishing hardware

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I recently open up a rolling tackle box clip and some of the comments on the thread got me thinking. I see some people telling me to use 120 to 140 pounds clips and others telling me to use 50 pound test line. That just sounds funny to me. 

Take my light setup, 1083 Lamglas 3/8-2oz  Line rating 12-20

I use 20 pound suffix 832

40 pound leader

40 pound TA or rolling TB clips

150 staal 

Now the reel has somewhere around 28 to 29 pounds of drag and I know I am not fishing anywhere close to max drag. So why would I need to use a clip rated for 120 pound test. Can someone please tell me I am always trying to learn new things and I am not getting the 50 pound test line thing and the heavy clips. 

I try and look at it very simply.  If you're the type to "upgrade" your hooks, say on your old SS lures, to say 4X VMC hooks, than you're probably going to go for a thicker gauge on your other terminal tackle as well.  A thicker gauge(or a metal with a higher TS) is more resistant to torque, and where you need the stoutest/torque resistant tackle, is close to the source(fish).  

Some guys don't consider heavier terminal tackle all that seriously, nothing wrong with that.  Other guys think that those attachments are, just by their nature, a weak link in the "chain", and over-correct that problem.  Since I build my own rigs, I tend to spend more on my terminal tackle but still airquote.gif save airquote.gif money.  On the other side of that same coin, I've pulled in some big_ss fish on 20# mono lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surffishinfiend View Post

I try and look at it very simply.  If you're the type to "upgrade" your hooks, say on your old SS lures, to say 4X VMC hooks, than you're probably going to go for a thicker gauge on your other terminal tackle as well.  A thicker gauge(or a metal with a higher TS) is more resistant to torque, and where you need the stoutest/torque resistant tackle, is close to the source(fish).  

Some guys don't consider heavier terminal tackle all that seriously, nothing wrong with that.  Other guys think that those attachments are, just by their nature, a weak link in the "chain", and over-correct that problem.  Since I build my own rigs, I tend to spend more on my terminal tackle but still airquote.gif save airquote.gif money.  On the other side of that same coin, I've pulled in some big_ss fish on 20# mono lol

I have taken fish up to 40 pounds on 20 pound test. I do upgrade my hooks but I know other guys I fish with that have taken fish up to 40 pounds on stock SP minnows. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie Fishil View Post

You must know some very lucky guys, why would anyone fish with the inferior hooks and split rings that come on the SP minnows?

Lucky?

<br /><br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

We all get lucky sometimes...

You don't need them with the light set-up,you outlined.

Sometimes I like them at night if I'm wearing gloves, as I think they're easier to manipulate. With that said, I more often use the middle size. If I have failures it's never been the clip.

Back to the original question, why use inferior hooks and rings? As an aside, the picture with the guy holding 2 bass, were they caught on an SP Minnow? Who makes the sand spike in that picture?

I recently open up a rolling tackle box clip and some of the comments on the thread got me thinking. I see some people telling me to use 120 to 140 pounds clips and others telling me to use 50 pound test 

line. That just sounds funny to me. 

Take my light setup, 1083 Lamglas 3/8-2oz  Line rating 12-20

I use 20 pound suffix 832

40 pound leader

40 pound TA or rolling TB clips

150 staal 

Now the reel has somewhere around 28 to 29 pounds of drag and I know I am not fishing anywhere close to max drag. So why would I need to use a clip rated for 120 pound test. Can someone please tell me I am always trying to learn new things 

and I am not getting the 50 pound test line thing and the heavy clips. 

I think the TA clip you can fish closer to the breaking strength of your leader because they don't have a tendency to pry and twist open like a duolock type snap. I think too it depends on where your fishing and the quality of the fish you expect to catch that leads people to choose line and leader weight. I can see myself using your exact setup in a lot of places I fish and would consider it ideal in most of those places. On the other hand there are a lot of places that I have fished that that setup would put you at a real disadvantage. There are times when bigger tackle and heavy leaders, terminal tackle and line make sense. 50lb braid, 80lb leaders with 120lb clips is standard equipment in some areas. Mainly in big water and heavy structure. A note on hooks. There have been numerous fish taken on stock inferior hooks over the years. That can give you a false sense of security sometimes. There are days when average fish can crush 4x hooks and rip the hardware clean off a plug. Strong quality hooks make a lot of sense. It's pennies when you consider the expense of your whole setup.

I think it has alot more to do with where and how you fish. On a sand beach with plenty of room 10# test and some skill will take pretty much anything you might run into but abbrasion resistance,sweeps and rips ,hard structure ,crowds and many other things can play a huge part what it takes to land the fish. Over all I fish my drag on the lighter side when possible so I have less terminal failures than some of the other guys. As far as SP's rings and hooks ,I am glad you have had success with them but you certainly don't hafta look hard to find guys who had failures with them. Nyce slide show though.

I have taken fish up to 40 pounds on 20 pound test. I do upgrade my hooks but I know other guys I fish with that have taken fish up to 40 pounds on stock SP minnows. 

Al Mc Renolds surf caught a 78 1/2 lb. striped bass ( $250,000.00) :) on 20 lb. test line and a stock Bomber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Wagen View Post

Al Mc Renolds surf caught a 78 1/2 lb. striped bass ( $250,000.00) smile.gif on 20 lb. test line and a stock Bomber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyingguy1 View Post

It was a rebel wind chaser not a bomber

Great point guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie Fishil View Post

Back to the original question, why use inferior hooks and rings? As an aside, the picture with the guy holding 2 bass, were they caught on an SP Minnow? Who makes the sand spike in that picture?

I am not sure but I will ask him for you when he gets back in town.

It was a rebel wind chaser not a bomber

Mia Copa, it was a Rebel Wind Cheater. Did you know Zim has the reel, at least he had it a couple of years ago when he showed it to me.