Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Warpedgoose

best way to spool a real

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Various way's, put reel on a rod, thread line through guides, I use the but section, so only a guide or two. Pair of work gloves, start winding, use your fingers as the tensioner. You can also put the line through a phone book, add 5 lb weight to it, and start winding.

Remember one thing here, it isn't the best thing to have the line on so tight. Think about it, when you reel in your lure, how much weight is that? As soon as you cast it for the first time, the nice tight pack, will be gone, depending on how far you cast out, you'll never retrieve all that line back on your reel, and achieve the same tightness that the shop did

Another thing you can do, and this is for braid. Lay the line in a bucket of water, use a heavy glove, and wind it on your reel that way, it will go on tighter, being soaked in water

Thank you that's very good advice. I use braid and will definetly try the bucket method. It just seems like a ripoff to pay an additional $10 to 15 to have them do it for me. And about that point you made about it not being nesesary for the line to be that tight. I do understand. I just want to get the maximum amount of line on the spool, without having to waste any

And just because they have a fancy reel spooling machine doesn't mean the employees know how to actually operate it or put the line on correctly - Yds, uniform and tension. Primarily an issue with the big box stores like Dicks and Gander - just my experience. I had a guy at Gander put line on two of my conventional reels while I browsed, came back to get my reels and the line was not uniform across the spool, not even close. So after kind of smirking when he handed me the reels, I asked him what happened and he said he always has problems using the machine. Then he tries to even the line across the spool using his thumb! I couldn't believe it! Told him to remove it all and took my empty reels - he had one giant pile of line on the bench. The real bait and tackle stores are your best bet, even with having to probably pay a little more for the line, it's worth it. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameso20o View Post

Line through a phone book.

great idea but i was going to ask the same question...where do i get one?

Moderate tension on your finger is enough.

If it starts to burn, or you see flames, it's too tight! mad.gif

More importantly, the tension, whatever amount you apply should be unifrom throughout the spool.

Those machines work because they are able to keep tension constant.

You should be able to spool any line by holding a wet microfiber towel with the line going through it and your non reeling hand holding a part of the rod while your reeling hand just reels. Use the wet towel to overlap the line until proper tension is achieved and just reel . Very very simple, just keep the same tension through out the filling process. You can also just throw one of these things together to apply the proper tension.

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1512010/width/1000/height/1000[/img