Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coastalfisher

Plug Building

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey,

I would like to attempt to create my own plugs, for fresh and/or saltwater. For those of you who know, what are some techniques and tools I will need to use.

Also, why type of wood is the best to use?

Thanks

I would suggest you read the two items in the blue box on top of threads page,

New builders thread page

And

Lure builders safety issues

Start there and that will give you some basics.

Do you have a lathe and tools or just starting out?

Pick up a kit or 2. If not just to get an idea of the process.

Definetely just use the search feature for any questions and you will find pretty much all the "answers"

There are also some good videos on you tube. Again, basic search words will get you some stuff to watch/learn from

Swing by Home Depot or Lowes and find some white pine boards. Our local lowes has them in their craft wood section. You can get a couple that are close to the thickness of the plug that you want to produce. Search here for a thread by "the greek" on making handcarves. He has a good step by step on how to do something like a bomber or other swimmer. That will give you some basics on how to do a plug with a few tools. Pasurf and I also did similar ones years ago that might also be of help. As the other suggested, start reading stuff on the forum to pick up other ideas (try searches on: sealer, paint, primer, clear coat, thru-wiring, screw eyes for some basic stuff). As you get going, post more specific questions on your build and I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Jigman