Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian White

Fling Correction - Flats Season Ends May 3rd

29 posts in this topic

To everyone who stayed at the Flats Fling through Sunday, I hope you fared well. Hopefully Saturday evenings "herring fling" payed off. If not at least it was fun.

I know I chatted with a bunch of guys who assumed that since the spring trophy season started on April 20, tha April 19 was the last day of the C&R season on the Flats. I was just at the MD DNR site and find that it's not the case. It does in fact run through May 3rd. That's good news for me since I will be unable to fish next weekend. I hope to fish with some of you again before it's over.

Whoa! You sure about that? I received an e-mail from the DNR while I was away at the fling that indicated April 19th is the last day of the C&R season and the maps in the DNR site say the 19th. Are you sure you didn't come across an old news release indicating the proposed dates? It was originally planned to be through May 3rd.

Good seein' you at the fling.

Chris

Chris, I was checking the MD DNR site out and it looks like the C+R season in the flats is on until May 3. Check out the site then go to the FINS link and you will see what I mean.

MikeC

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fins.html

If you read the text that follows closely, you'll see that it takes the first two maps to cover the entire flats season; one for 3/15 to 4/19, and one from 4/20 to 5/3.

This is from the news page and was updated on April 3rd. Hope htis clears things up. Gives me a few more weekends to improve on my personal record.

[This message has been edited by Christian White (edited 04-08-2002).]

JimW, I'll be out Sat and Sun this weekend, but will be in my motor boat with a buddy coming down from RI. TM is talking about catching drum at the point in Buxton, NC(Hatteras Island). It will probably be about a 4 or 5 hour drive from C-ville!

MikeC

Oh how confusing! confused.gif

I swear I looked at the FINS maps before and they indicated the flats closed after the 19th. Oh well.

I shot an e-mail back to the woman in regulations at DNR that had referenced the 4/19 closing date asking her for a clarification. Hopefully we'll nail this one down soon.

So, about this weekend... I had been thinking flats but the drum run has me itching to head south. Where are you going to be JimW? Terry Mac, you out there? MikeC, are you in your motor boat both days?

Chris

I'm driving to UVA with my son, pass by the flats twice between Sat and Tues, in VA on Mon. OBX is 5 hours south from UVA, 10-11 back to CT. Whew, flats would be good, maybe try to borrow a yak for my son. confused.gif

Chris, Never leave fish to find fish wink.gif

If the rain isn't too tough tonight and doesn't cause Conowingo to open its gates it looks like the weekend is shaping up to be a good one.

If I miss you at the launch with the expected northern winds you'll know where I'll be out on the water wink.gif

Bob, you going out this weekend?

Unfortunately no. I have to start getting the goods ready to move. I'm heading to mom's in Jersey to pack up a dining room set, and other small household goods she is letting me have for my new abode. Making settlement on the 16th, and completing the move the following weekend. Hopefully I'll be out there Sunday the 21st. Prior to all that I'm going to play my cards for a Possible Thursday evening foray.

Bob

Looks like I'll be paddling with Terry Mac on Sunday. Saturday I may head up for a part day or something.

MikeC, what's your plan for Saturday? Could I hitch a part day ride if the wind is kicking up?

Thursday evening eh? I might have to drive up for that as well.

Chris