Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pl978

Wachusett reservoir

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I'm want to fish for some lakers in the wachusett reservoiur this year but,  I'm not sure where would be good. I was thinking about the prescott cove area. Help would be much appreciated! PM for locations please.

I'm not going to spot burn.....Wachusetts has no secrets, but has miles of shoreline to fish. You might want to use the search feature on this site for Wachusetts, you'll bring up hours and hours of threads to sift through, and you will learn a lot. Another short cut for where to fish is to take a ride around the reservoir and you'll see where the gates are and where the cars are parked when the fishing is on.

Was out there yesterday to check out a few spots ( never fished there before ) but found out there is a NO DOGS allowed law :(

still a lot of ice to melt lake was still covered all along rt 140

Was out there yesterday to check out a few spots ( never fished there before ) but found out there is a NO DOGS allowed law :(

still a lot of ice to melt lake was still covered all along rt 140

Is it true you cannot use waders here?

Please realize this guys, The Chu is a drinking water resevoir, an extension of the Quabbin Resy, so in the intrest of pure water for Boston you cannot wade, swim, walk your dog or do anything that might pollute the water!!!!! Last year some guy actually got fined for several hundred bucks for peeing behind a tree while fishing at gate 43 in the Quabbin!!!!!!!

....so in the intrest of pure water for Boston you cannot wade, swim, walk your dog or do anything that might pollute the water!!!!! ...

:rules:

Thanks Bernie just wanted to make sure. I have never fished this place and might give it a try this season. I,ll have a find the appropriate jug with snug lid in case nature calls. Another question: what does the shoreline look like? Overhanging trees or wide open and easy to walk along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo View Post

Lakers and landlocked salmon breed in the Wachusett

Ok thanks Billyo. What do you think my chances of catching a laker during the first week of opening day would be with shiners at the bottom? It's going to be my first time this year. Is catching lakers pretty consistent at the reservoir?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pl978 View Post

Ok thanks Billyo. What do you think my chances of catching a laker during the first week of opening day would be with shiners at the bottom? It's going to be my first time this year. Is catching lakers pretty consistent at the reservoir?

Shiner on the bottom, or jig a kastmaster/crippled herring along the bottom.  If you can get perch fry that's #1, and some suckers also catch the big dawgs..  You should definitely catch 1, but aim more for like 10-15, the place is plugged with them.

I agree they are easy to catch. I fish lures, deadly dicks close to the bottom and slow but the guys who do it every day mostly fish big dead shiners on the bottom. They use a bulb into the anus to inflate hem with air so they float a bit off the bottom. Go to B and A tackle and they can giv you some tips and even sell you the shiners and inflation bulb. Fish a shiner near the top on a bobber and you could gt a landlocked salmon too.

My standard laker rig is a med or med/large shiner size 4 hook 18" 8lb leader then a swivel and egg sinker. I do put a small bead between the swivel and egg sinker to protect the knot. I lip hook the shiners mostly because they cast better. Ive caught lakers by lip hooking or back hooking shiners. Live/dead injected/non injected perch/shiners/suckers/crawlers all work. I know some of the "experts" spout that the only way to catch large lakers is with perch....Ive seen plenty good fish caught on good old bait shop shiners. It's like fishing the canal. The more time you put in the better your results will be. The causeway on rt 12 is worth checking out. Its got a good current for drifting shiners/crawlers and is the only way for fish to get from the the north part to the south part and vise versa. I can only imagine the monster fish that have swum under rt 12:shock:

Definetly stop in B&A on rt 12. get your shiners, buy some sinkers and a lure and ask for advise. Good guys.

Dont forget about the lead sinker ban on less than 1oz sinkers....If you see a ranger you will probably be asked.