Fresh water hybrid striper reel

Rate this topic

Barry652

I'm looking to buy a lightweight baitcaster but I do not want one of the high dollar reels with the plastic gears. I have abus but they are too heavy. I was looking at the Abu mgx and seen a review where they were fishing for peacock bass and they broke the reel. Sad to say that's all it took for me to see on that reel. Do any of you have any suggestions on a similar size and style of reel? It seems the more you spend the cheaper made the reels are. Keep in mind I'm looking for something light. Thanks.

Shimano - spend what you can and you'll get more than anything else on the market for near the same price.  For example, the Shimano Caius for around $69 will crank until the cows come home and then some.  It weighs under 8oz, that's darn light.

Revo Winch and Revo Inshore models have worked well for me. Also used the older Abu 5500 series reels for them. The Revos feel more comfortable when casting jigs/plugs for them. 5500 or 6500 if I am pulling planer boards or running downriggers for them.

Jigman

Shimano curado. Just watch what Larry Dahlberg has put them through and caught with them over the last few years

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

Any knowledge if the drivetrain is plastic or not. Is the plastic gears now a days even an issue?

Are plastic gears malfunctioning a common problem in a low profile baitcaster?

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

I use heavy round reels with metal gearing (Abu) and I now have need for a much lighter reel but the ones I seem to be interested in have plastic gearing so I was wanting to know what would hold up to 10 to 20lb hybrids on a regular basis?

Shimano Curado, I have 5 of them in three different sizes and they're as good as you're going to find for under $200. I have quite a few freshwater reels, ranging from good to top end, and the curados are the workhorses of the bunch. Not the best, (the Daiwa Pixy is) but good enough for everything I do.

Abu MGX is magnesium. I know you said you'll be using it for freshwater, but if there's even a chance you'll use the reel in saltwater, then avoid magnesium. Even for scratches -- the fact is that reels get scratched and humans sweat salt. That combo means fast corrosion. I have a few magnesium reels and, frankly, it's ridiculous that you need to avoid scratches on an item that is essentially a tool. Aluminum reels very close in weight, and in some cases just as light, so there's no reason to compromise by having a metal in your reel that makes it "conditional use."

I just looked up the G model curado, (the current one), and that has a plastic levelwind gear. While I don't think you'll have any problems with that, it's one of your criteria so I guess that's the end of that. But I still recommend it. Did you mean main gear when you said you want to avoid plastic? I think you have a lot of choices because I can't think of anything over $100 today without a metal main gear.

I have a friend who uses a Curado 200E7 and caught a few 14+ stripers in saltwater this season. Granted that's not a current G model but they're pretty close in terms of performance.

I use heavy round reels with metal gearing (Abu) and I now have need for a much lighter reel but the ones I seem to be interested in have plastic gearing so I was wanting to know what would hold up to 10 to 20lb hybrids on a regular basis?

The plastic gears are not under any real strain..... should be fine

let me clarify.... the plastic gears that drive the level wind are under no strain... I can't think of any reel that uses a plastic main gear or plastic pinion andor main gear.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

Curado seems to be the best choice. Looked at a couple vids on YouTube . Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision. The reels that have plastic main gears are the team lews pro and i think the quantum exo but it may have been the reel foot was rivited to frame and i couldn't find info on outher reels in that price range. (the mgx was damaged peacock bass fishin it did have metal gears)I can only guess that the finess style baitcasters are cutting weight by going to plastic gearing and carbon fiber. I'm not going to spend that much money on a reel and have it torn pr worn out hybrid fishing. Lol