Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander5

Fish attractants. Do you use them?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Are you using them? What kinds do you like? do you use it on plugs, tins and bait? All year or just certain times conditions? Other than gulp swimming mullet, which comes in the stuff, I'm not really using it?

Gulp makes a spray applicator to add to a gulp after a while fished to add back the scent. Comes in various flavors.:) We use in FL all the time with good results. JP

When this discussion comes up in Aus the general opinion is that it may work. A lot of Gulp is sold by the way.

It is said that it masks the smells of our bacon and eggs, deodorant etc rather than an attractant.

Washing that off in the mud or sand of the river is a good idea also.

What I have done lately is when making timber lures I drill a hole through the body 2/3rds back, before the coatings are applied. The idea of this is to insert a small amount of prawn, fish bait or worm into this to leave a trail.

Still not fully tested. Probably like loading a little bait onto your Trebble.

Good subject.

Bryan

I use mikes lunker lotion  since the 80's for LMB, only for masking human scents. I belive it works yesterday couldn't buy a bite until i saused up my  rapala goast minnow .About 2 casts later i nailed my first LMB of the season and 4 more in the session . menhaden  flavor ofcourse  

Can't speak for striper fishing, but I bit into the hype on using scent attractants from a bottle on a recent trip and have to say I'm a believer. Procure is a pretty popular brand down here in FL and I'm hoentsly not too familiar with it, but do know they make a couple dozen different scents. I would guess bunker (down hee they call them pogies) would be the go-to striper scent... unless they make eel!

I still have "Dr. Juice" stains on my cooler from the 80's.

I ruined a pack with Bunker Oil that leaked... boy did that smell bad.

I have some Berkley juice that I'll use when I have bug spray on me...

Fished side by side with buddies, juice/no juice.

Both LMB and SB.

Didn't really see a difference.

But if it gives you confidence, go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalelin View Post

The cheapest, smelliest can of cat food you can find. Put it in a lobster bait bag and hang it over the side. Don't forget to open the can.

I may have to try hanging it over the edge of a jetty.

Canned catfood is an excellent chum and the Ocean Whitefish flavor is deadly at attracting all sorts of fish, Shrimp are attracted to it big time and stuffing a fine mesh stocking with it and letting it drift in the current is how many guys with cast nets catch lot's of big live shrimp.

Hey guys, just saw this now. Since I'm the typical broke college kid and cant afford quality products, I made my own concoction.  I blended garlic and water and a little oil just to keep the human sent off.  It works pretty good because its never prevented me from catching and I use whats free in the kitchen. lol