Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scubaman

12' Jon Boat Advice

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am looking at a 12' Lowe Jon boat for freshwater bass fishing. the boat is clean with marine plywood flooring with outdoor carpet. is this size jon boat stable enough for 2 anglers to stand and cast in calm water? the other boats I am looking are a 14 jon boat, or a 15'4 Gheenoe canoe with a flat back, which I am told are very stable. any advice is welcome. thanks.

I'd rather live next door from someone with a boat than own a Ghenooe. I fish out of a Lowe 10 footer but mostly by myself. I've caught dozens of big Tarpon out of it.

One thing to consider. The plywood floor ads lots of weight.

I like mine. Have a 3.3 hp merc on it and a 30lb trolling motor. It's not on a trailer so a little work to get it in and out of the truck but stable even with 2 guys. There are diff. beams on 12' boats. Pm sent. Scott

It is extremely difficult (for me, at least) to change positions with another person. The smaller Ghenooe is worse than the larger one. If you are content to fish the stern seat or bow seat all day, they are ok. They are definitely stable but heavier than a 12' Jon boat.

This is just my personal opinion. There are many thousands of Ghenooes in Florida and lots of folks love them.. I bought a 16 footer and used it one time before selling it. The new, wider 16 footer is more of a skiff and should be fine. Unfortunately they are pricer than Jon boats.

I fish out of a 10' aluminum Jon boat by myself, several times per week now than I have retired from operating charter boats.

I had a little 10 foot jon boat once upon a time . I had it out in a lake that was several thousand acres in size once . I was putting along with just a trolling motor . A not very big swell came rolling along and rolled right over the side of that boat and swamped it . i sold it within a week and never looked back . Little jon boats are o.k. for small ponds but I want some free board if I'm going to be in the same water as fast power boats . I think a gheenoe is much more seaworthy . The only advantage to a little jon boat is you can throw it in the back of a pickup and slide it off the bank anywhere and they are cheap . The downside is you can loose all you gear and maybe your life to boot if you use too small of a boat in the wrong place at the wrong time

thanks Capt for the advice. at this point I am looking at both options, maybe a 14' Jon would be better. most of the LMB lakes/ponds in my area are skinny water with some challenging launch access. so the overall weight of my set up is important. I will be using a trailer for either option. thanks.

Pay particular attention to loading, Center all weighty items. If you see a swell coming, slide off the seet and kneel on the deck and hold on to both gunwales. This lowers the center of gravity a lot. I've had to do this a few times when a shrimp boat passed me at top speed. Those are some big wakes--at least 4 footers.

Another suggestion: Choose your days and pay attention to the weather. I don't fish on weekends and I can fish great water within 3 miles of my home. I often launch just for an hour of fishing at prime time on good tides. I seldom fish unless I know conditions are at least fair.

By the way, get a bag of Lake Fork Tackle Magic Swim Baits in 3.5" and 4.5" and the hooks Lake Fork suggests for them if you plan to fish for Bass. I often catch Bass. Snook and Redfish on the same bait and in the same place, sometimes on back to back casts. Simply cast them and reel them. I fish them fast enough so that they make a slight wake on the surface.

Bigger is better if you can handle it . You know Ken i thought you would be in an aluminum deep -v with a wind shield or maybe an original 70's style bomber these days like the one I found for you at Mim's a few years back . It was overpriced but it was in good shape for its age . tight lines .

Nice solid boats, but I'm not personally a fan of the bottom being only 32" wide with two people in the boat.

Mainly as I like to stand while fishing.

I've been looking into the Marlon Jon boats made in Chilliwack BC. I really like the idea of the bottom being nearly 52" wide.

SF

Maybe I pulled a "Slick Willy Clinton" and "misspoke" on this one.

My son just bought a very old and decrepit 12' Sears Jon boat. It is 30" on the bottom. His kids (4 and 7) painted the boat after they cleaned and after dad repaired it. We took it fishing in a pond on the property my son just bought.

Anyhow, it is fine as long as we are sitting but standing is problematic. It is definitely a small water boat. My little 10 footer is 34" on the bottom and is stable enough for a 71 year old to stand and fly cast or fight a big fish in.

So, I'd opt for a 36" bottom Jon boat if I were buying.

Here is the little boat with my son displaying the first fish caught out of it.