Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

Worn out by the flats

20 posts in this topic

Just returned to a nice warm house. Its cold down there at the camground , snow on the tents this morning, and the trains going by every 20 minutes dont help when Your trying to sleep. I even drank a bottle of rum and still woke up every 20 minutes. I should of tried eelballs trick. One bottle of wine add a half a gallon of gin mix in a little blueberry brandy and top off with 20 beers and get under a 3 foot pile of blankets. He had no problem sleeping last night.

Fishing was tough today. Cold hard winds out of the N.W. everybody paddled harder then they have in months becuse none of us would have gone out in that if we werent there for the fling. We saw snow both days while on the water. A few fish caught today and a lot of good vibes.

I had one 36 inch fatty yesterday when fishing was a little better. I had a live herring given to me by AL Mcrenolds ( holder of world striper record) He has been hanging out non stop with da boys and is seriously talking about getting a kayak. The man has non stop stories and he can go on for hours about 100 lb stripers etc. There was some discussion when I left at 4pm about fishing tonight in a new spot that was just discovered this afternoon.

Barrell

[This message has been edited by barrell (edited 04-06-2002).]

Barrell, worn out is right! The weather was a bit rough but I still had a great time. Glad we came down Friday because that was the better day. Friday night was fun too. cwm12.gif Lots of good stories. You are right, Al McReynolds can tell some stories. cwm24.gif He had some impressive photos of some very large stripers caught within the last week at the flats. Seems herring were the ticket for him. It was good to meet some SOLers for the first time and also to see some familiar faces. I just wish the weather and fish had cooperated a bit more.

------------------

yueng.gifneeds_a_shave.gif

Hat, Eelball discovered this afternoon that some local kids have been catching 20lb + the last couple nights only 100 yards from our tents. By the way thanx guys for driving me to "DA RENDEVOUS" last night I was in no shape.

Barrell

Barrel, I saw your truck but failed to meet you. Maybe next time.

Once I got the bug out of the Mokai (Fuel tank vent valve had a leaf particle in it which caused the system not to vent) I took a long range trip in the heaviest winds of the day. Found fish stacked up in the fish bowl 1-1.5 miles from Turkey Point. Took a beating in the heavy water and got wet coming back but I did come back with the smell of fresh fish. Caught 2 at 32" or so.

Bob Cavenaugh the Mokai rep got there around 1PM and a few took test rides in his boat. The guys pointed him in the direction I headed out and we met when I was coming back in. Seems the last two out there were the Mokai's. Saw some guys waiting to go back out when we left for dinner.

Bob and I are planning a return trip next Saturday. Weather reports show a warming trend next week. If you guys haven't got plans maybe we need a rematch on the flats next Saturday. Seems poor weather still hangs it's hat on day's of SOL Flings frown.gif

Oh by the way.....my arms don't hurt a bit wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Jim DE (edited 04-07-2002).]

I posted on the other thread. The weekend did get me in shape. I'm really glad that I took Saturday off and jsut helped out. Friday paddling and Sunday were enough for me and now I'm ready for the season.

It was great fun though and the area is much closer than I thought. It was a touch over 2.5 hours for me from norhtern NJ. Coming home the traffic was awfull and it took me 4.25 hours.

After hearing about the trains I'm really glad I went the motel route as I'm a very light sleeper. all that paddling without sleep would have killed me.

If I fished there regularly I'd definately have a faster yak.

One last note. A few guys took the Expedition out on Saturday and pronounced it a very fishable kayak.

JimDE,

So did the Mokai meet you expectations ?

Is it quiet to run or does it sound like other PWCs ? I was hoping to get a boat this year, but I may need to downgrade my expectations to a kayak. The Mokai sounds like anice little compromise to reach those longer range spots...

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT

Anthony, I'd definately wear ear protection if I owned a Mokai. The type that the guys at the ariports use for the jet engines. I'm not kidding, I found it loud. Otherwise its a very interesting craft and can be modified to be quite a fishing craft.

Jon: did you find it loud form the perspective of a yak purist? Or did you find that the loudness might truly be bothersome, or a fish spooker? Was the cowling off when you were listening to it? Sorry for the question pipe.

J.P.

Yeah, Mokai was louder than I expected, fortunately loud enough to wake me out of my nap in the car.

JimDE, that was me and Bill that went out after you left. There were fish jumping clear of the water all over the flats until sunset, can't say what they were, couldn't troll up anything.

barrell, Eelball, hatman et al, it was fun.

25 miles all told for me this weekend, and 14 of those were on Friday. Great to meet everyone!

Sorry about the campground guys. I only went by there twice but a train never passed by when I was looking around. Guess they all waited 'til this weekend, eh?

BTW, my arms don't hurt a bit. My lats now, that another story. wink.gif (good technique will take you far)

Chris