Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeBlue

Swimming Plugs; Distance vs Action

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I don't use a lot of swimming plugs because generally I can't get them out far enough to reach the fish. Forget metal lips, darters and bottle plugs are a little better but still limited. I have a couple of SS bottle plugs and I think they cast the best. What are some of the better casting swimming plugs? My question is would you be willing to trade action for distance? What if someone made a plug that cast like a popper but only had a little wobble to it and you had to impart action with your rod, would it be useful?

Hi Mike,

I have no problem getting both distance and action.

i build using heavy wood,casts waay better than the standard plugs you see out there.

8-9 inch wide profile and weights from 3.5-6 oz they get out there easy.

the heavy wood casts better than the standard 6-8 inch cedar plugs do.

compact design with heavy wood =good casting plug.

to answer your question,yes,it would be useful to say the least.

H-H

To answer your question, yes. it would be useful and they make these plugs - needlefish. Yeah, I would love a 7 inch redfin that can cast like the 2 oz AH needlefish but that is never going to happen. LOL.

There are a few of these "niche" plugs available. The 2 3/8 ounce Super Strike Little Neck Popper can also be used as a swimmer - just use a slow steady retrieve - probably outcast any other swimmer in your arsenal. A few needles out there like the Choopy that will wiggle a little more than normal. Of course a loaded 7 inch Redfin will add some distance.

DZ

There are some better casting stuff out there depending on what size profile and where in the water column you are focused on. SP minnows,bottle darters ,bottle plugs,nike's and like mentioned some big wood out there. With big wood wieghting statigies and compact type profile can have a tremndous effect on distance. Although I have never swam one you will often read that a Super Strike popper will swim when retrieved at a slow pace.

Often action may be of less importance and it just comes down to putting a certain size profile in thier face. Also moving water will give alot of action to a plug that would not otherwise have much of ot's own. I have had great success with the super strike bullets but I only have confidence in them in a hard sweep. Floating needlefish may look like they are not swimming at all from your point of view but in a chop the fish is underneath in a stationary position and the surface chop is moving the plug up and down and side to side. There is also loading plugs that are not usually associated with distance . Lots of stuff out there. Good Luck.