Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atlantictrader

Can anyone put a date to this miniature Gibbs swimmer?

21 posts in this topic

these little baits were made for a short time in the 1950s. They are pretty tuff to come by - Stan made small swimmers and poppers. They did not come in that box - these small baits were sold in pill bottles and on display cards with a dozen baits per card. I would imagine they hung on a tackle shop wall. Here is a picture of what the pill bottles looked like - I will get a picture up later of the display card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy C View Post

here is close up of one of the swimmers and the bottle it came in

Roy, is that swimmer 3" long, from wood tip to wood tip?

If they came in pill boxes, where do you think the little box that came with mine is from? The box is 4 1/2" long.

yes the small swimmers were 3 inches long wood tip to wood tip and were 5/16 oz.. The box held the next size up 4 inches long and 5/8 oz. Does the box have anything stamped on the end?

I have a few small white with silver sparkles darters that measure 4 and 6/8ths inches.They look new but no hooks or boxes though.Cute little plugs. Would these be the next size up from the ones discussed?

it is very hard to say Stan changed lengths on plugs over time. What you have sounds like the 1oz size. The ones in the picture above are 3.75 inches long. and are about 5/8 oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkitterPop View Post

I have a few small white with silver sparkles darters that measure 4 and 6/8ths inches.They look new but no hooks or boxes though.Cute little plugs. Would these be the next size up from the ones discussed?

The one pictured in the start of the thread is 3" long, and Roy states those come in a pill bottle. Then there are others that fit into the small 4 1/2" boxes like the one I have pictured with the 3" swimmer. I believe Roy states the boxes are for the next size up from the 3" plugs.