Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sefmonster

What line for an Akios 656 SCM Shuttle?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a few choices to use getting it out there.I just had Suffix Seige but don't like it. Should I go braid since I'm almost casting to the end and I'm no champ. I have Momoi 65lb. or PP 40lb. Any ideas would help.Thanks....John

Hi John,

You do not mention the size of your current line or your fishing conditions. Fishing in heavy structure or rocks will require heavier line.

Congratulations on your great casting!

I have two Akios 656 CTM reels. On those I use 20# Big Game with 30# braid backing. The mono is necessary due to rock and coral in the area.

Typical line for a 656 would be about the same as for an ABU 6500. 16 or 17# line would be my guess. Diameter would be about .35mm or 0.014". Since I do not use small line very often, I can't give you better information.

I also do not like Suffix line. I have tried it and found that although the abrasion resistance was good, I had a problem with it cutting off on rocks. This was as compared to Big Game.

So, you will also need to determine the characteristics of the line needed in your area.

Just FYI,

If you still have insufficient line capacity after determining the smallest line that meets your needs, along with using a braid backing, the Akios 757 SCM Shuttle will be available in the very near future.

I am affiliated with Akios.

Don

Hey Don,thanks for responding.I am using 20lb.Suffix Seige Hi-Vis Orange.Thanks for the compliment on my casting but I'm far from a distance champ.I fish with 4-6oz and a chunk.I use a 50lb.shock leader around 5 turns around the spool.I only use this reel for tossing worms or chunks for bass.I remember the first time I got it and let a 5oz sinker fly! Wow! I also have a Chrome Rocket but this reel is my favorite. I am stoked that a 757 SCM Shuttle will be coming out soon! Please let me know! I guess I'll drop down to 17-20lb.mono.I like Hi-Vis line because where I fish there are quite a few fishermen(noobs)and I like to see where my line is! I guess I'm gonna have to search for another Hi-Vis mono.Taking any pre-orders! Lol...

Forgot to say that last year a day before opening season,April 14th,I had a 30lber and another that I couldn't stop and he ran and ripped line out and ran parallel to the structure and he ran me across some rebar and I could feel the line rubbing then...POP! Don't want this to happen again!