Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Learning to like Shooting Heads

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

To be honest, I never wanted to try shooting heads because I thought they would be too complicated. However, I recently learned to appreciate the SH systems with my TH'ers and am considering a SH system for a 9 wt Orvis Helios I fish. As Mike Oliver said in another thread, would make lugging gear simpler.

Lou,

You can keep a lot of line outside of the tip with a TH rod. Even I don't mind a (short) tip of 12-15' looped onto a full line that always stays outside the tip.

I just can't see getting into a hot fish with a loop clattering through the running guides.

But that is just me. Many guys do it.

Herb

Herb,

One day I will try a full set of SH kit for my SH rods. My biggest put off is the coiling of the heads in a line wallet. In practice does this hand coiling of the line twist them to hell. Be great not to have to carry two extra spools loaded with full WF lines. The loop to loop connections I think I can live with. Maybe.:D

The other issue is that most commercial heads are way too short for me at 30 feet. So I would have to take a nice full WF line and cut off the running line and make a loop myself. But whilst more expensive than std commercial SH to do that much cheaper than two spare spools and way lighter to lug around and smaller belt bag to.

Why are std commercial heads so short.?

mike

Herb,

One day I will try a full set of SH kit for my SH rods. My biggest put off is the coiling of the heads in a line wallet. In practice does this hand coiling of the line twist them to hell. Be great not to have to carry two extra spools loaded with full WF lines. The loop to loop connections I think I can live with. Maybe.:D

The other issue is that most commercial heads are way too short for me at 30 feet. So I would have to take a nice full WF line and cut off the running line and make a loop myself. But whilst more expensive than std commercial SH to do that much cheaper than two spare spools and way lighter to lug around and smaller belt bag to.

Why are std commercial heads so short.?

mike

Mike, the shorter SHs you mention are probably intended for Skagit spey casting. The Scandi or Scandinavian SHs are longer. For example, Rio makes Scandi heads to 40' and grain weights to 640. You might want to have a look at these. You can also add tips (floating, intermediate or sinking) to the end of any SH to lengthen and/or bump up the grain weight but at the cost of another loop-to-loop junction.

Mike I made a full set of 10 and 12 wt shooting heads by buying cheap lines off the auction site and cutting the heads off, then used a Rio running line. I just found I didn't really need them, I have found very few places I can't hit the bottom with either mending, weighted fly, or adding 18" of t-14 to the tip.

If you like I have a whole spare system, running line and three heads I can send over for you to try. I have found no problem with hand coiling and keeping in a wallet, just stretch the head by hand after connecting and good to go. Let me know.

C

Mike, the shorter SHs you mention are probably intended for Skagit spey casting. The Scandi or Scandinavian SHs are longer. For example, Rio makes Scandi heads to 40' and grain weights to 640. You might want to have a look at these. You can also add tips (floating, intermediate or sinking) to the end of any SH to lengthen and/or bump up the grain weight but at the cost of another loop-to-loop junction.

Sightfisher,

I am with you but I was talking about single Hand rods in my post not TH. Going back to Scandi Heads issue for us Two Hand salt water Guys is that they tend to have long gentle front tapers great for Rivers but not for casting heavy flies into the surf. But we have to adapt to whats available and make do best we can.

I have a Snowbee 42gram line which is 42 feet which needs some front end trimming but is worth a shot. Herb has this line to. My dream line would be the Airflow Beach line but with 37.5 foot headss and to be available in floating, Intermediate and full range of sinking speed heads and up to at least 1000grains in weight. But as we both know there is no demand sufficient to make commercial manufacture viable.

Mike

Oakman,

Heh thanks for the kind offer. Best not to ship to the UK as postage is crazy and then our Customs Men will delay the package until I am ready for the Undertaker.

With luck we are meeting up in June and if not then Montauk. Got my dates fixed as 17th Oct to Nov 4th so put in your diary. I can try your set up then.

My most used line by a long way is the Intermediate followed by a D3 and then a D7 or Rio S8. I have cast a 30 foot chunk of T-14 but its not much fun and not needed often from the shore.

I mostly only take one spare line with me on a reel spool but just sometimes I wish I had another line with me. But I agree its good and can be fun trying to improvise and make what you have work somehow.

Cape Cod is looming up fast scary how time seems to move so fast as one ages. No time to draw breath these days.

Mike

Sightfisher,

I am with you but I was talking about single Hand rods in my post not TH. Going back to Scandi Heads issue for us Two Hand salt water Guys is that they tend to have long gentle front tapers great for Rivers but not for casting heavy flies into the surf. But we have to adapt to whats available and make do best we can.

I have a Snowbee 42gram line which is 42 feet which needs some front end trimming but is worth a shot. Herb has this line to. My dream line would be the Airflow Beach line but with 37.5 foot headss and to be available in floating, Intermediate and full range of sinking speed heads and up to at least 1000grains in weight. But as we both know there is no demand sufficient to make commercial manufacture viable.

Mike

Mike, you should check out a Scandi reversed front to back so the heavier back taper is up front, not unlike the Airflo Beach lines.

Mike, you should check out a Scandi reversed front to back so the heavier back taper is up front, not unlike the Airflo Beach lines.

Doooh, I always miss the obvious. Must try that dodge. Thanks.

I had a good work out last week in S. Ireland with the TH good to get rid of muscle rust after a long lay off.

Mike