Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raregroove

Another advice question re: "portable" kayak

4 posts in this topic

Guys,

I know you might be tired of kayak selection questions but I hope I can get some good feedback on this. I'm on a mission to start fishin from a yak and I've exhausted all my sources for advice.

I don't have a car, am looking for a portable kayak: by that I mean something I can schlepp on the LIRR or into a car service (I live in Jackson Heights).

If I could, I'd get a Cobra Navigator and mod the heck out of it, but it won't even fit in my elevator. My choices seem limited to an inflatable ( don't want to sink my Kastmaster hooks into that in the middle of the LI sound), a folding yak ( Folbot Aleut or used Feathercraft Kahuna + Seawings sponsons for more stability) or a Cobra TA/Traveler (which is like an XL but breaks down in 3 pieces and is only 28.5 " wide). The few people I've talked to that even know what a T/A traveler is tell me it's horrible (not what I wanted to hear).

Does any one have any practical suggestions on what might be best here? I'm 5'10" and weigh a porky 215. Is there anyone successfully fishing from a folding, sit in kayak? I know rigging all your stuff must be a horror compared to a SOT.

Thanks for any feedback.

Til then dreaming of a Cobra with a fish finder, rod holders, live bait cooler, massaging seat, color tv, bar...

I admire your desire but I don't have any reccomendations as I haven't considered something so portable. I consider the inflatables pool toys, at least the $200 Sevylors.