Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boscoebrea

My favorite day of the year,big Italian family reunion

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

up at our Big house and wharf,this time of year the Stripers start their run..,that said they seem to wait longer and longer each year,never-the-less for me this is the offical first day of fishing season.

Wishing you all a Blessed Easter and great fishing this season....

up at our Big house and wharf,this time of year the Stripers start their run..,that said they seem to wait longer and longer each year,never-the-less for me this is the offical first day of fishing season.

Wishing you all a Blessed Easter and great fishing this season....

that's cool. what's your wharf. a lot of waterside land up there has a interestring history. anything cool go on at your big house back in the days?

Yes indeed a lot of history,this was a fishing village and small town,it burn down in the early 1930 I think,..was never big,but many families stayed on and rebuilt the place,it was an Italian fishing village ,back in the day Italians and Portugese fished the Delta,they groups of people settled down along the delta,there were also Chinese villages,The Japanese mainly had orchard and small farms in the small valleys by the Delta...

Back in the day people had all they wanted form the land and the water,most of this people lived a healthy long life,they respected the land this country,some day I will show you pictures of thousands of pounds of huge Stripers caught in the Delta,,,

Right now the new breed fisherman is coming to town,the sons and grandsons of the orginals,they all have boats in Alaska,some do the Herring run here.The place in turning into a junk yard of big Alaskan fishing boats...a pity really.....

cool boscoe. you know, I'm a 1/4 italian. Grandmother's parents were from a region, can't remember which. Anyways, in my town's history book it talks about the italian fishermen of SF coming over in the summer to a beach over here where they'd camp. Rented to them by the owner of the farm there. And in herring season, of course they'd be there netting in the old hauling style. This around the turn of century. thank for sharing the pictures.

boscoe, maybe some of your family went there in the old days, by paradise park. It was known as Holly Farm back in the day. They'd rent campsites on the beach to people in summer. And the herring fishermen would fish the eel beds in winter, hauling nets onto the shore?